588,293 active members*
4,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NM-145 Spindle won't start after crash..........need help!!!

NM-145 Spindle won't start after crash..........need help!!!

Hello All,

I have had this machine for about 2.5 years and finally found someone to teach me how to use it properly.

I was trying to machine a part the other day and had to restart. Reset my Z to an area that had already been machined, my mistake!! When it moved to a part that hadn't been machined it tried to plunge too far and stopped the spindle. I hit the e-stop right away and reset everything to run again. When I started the program from the beginning the machine went to where it was supposed to start, but the spindle stayed idle.

I am hoping there is a reset switch or something that can fix this and that I haven't blown a board!!

Have you turned off the machine since then? Does the NM-145 have a separate switch for the drivers and spindle? Whenever my Torus Pro stops itself from a crash I have to switch off the drivers and spindle. I usually wait a couple seconds and turn it back on. Most of the time this is enough, but sometimes it isn't. If flipping that switch doesn't fix it I'll turn the whole machine off and back on - which has always worked so far. I'm not an expert or anything, but these steps have worked for me.

I'm assuming you've tried typing "m3" into the "MDI" field in Mach 3. If you haven't, I suggest trying that before rerunning the program. "M5" should* stop the spindle.

Did you smell the telltale "burned electronics" smell?

* I say it "should" stop the spindle because one time Windows crashed in the background while I was running Mach 3. The program ran fine until a toolchange. The thing is: the spindle didn't stop spinning. I tried "M5" but it didn't work so I hit the Reset button in Mach 3. Thankfully that worked. When I started to run the g-code again I had the same problem: although the axes were moving the spindle didn't start. "M3" didn't work either. Flipping the physical 'driver and spindle switch' didn't have any effect. When I closed Mach 3 the desktop was completely black - no icons, no Start Menu, nothing. Neither Ctrl + Alt + Delete nor Alt + F4 did anything. I had to turn off the whole machine using the power switch. I'm not sure what happened. I know this little anecdote probably isn't related to your issue, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Have you turned off the machine since then? Does the NM-145 have a separate switch for the drivers and spindle? Whenever my Torus Pro stops itself from a crash I have to switch off the drivers and spindle. I usually wait a couple seconds and turn it back on. Most of the time this is enough, but sometimes it isn't. If flipping that switch doesn't fix it I'll turn the whole machine off and back on - which has always worked so far. I'm not an expert or anything, but these steps have worked for me.
    On the Torus Pro, all you should have to do is press the Run/Stop switch on the VFD to reset the error. You'll likely see the display reading either "Fu8" or "Fu12" after a crash. The NM-145 I'm sure is different, as I believe it has a brushless DC motor, no? I would be surprised if a crash actually killed anything.

Regards,
    Ray L.

the spindle drive dying is a known issue on the original nm145.
    turn off the machine, then back on. usually this will reset it. if not, then the drive is dead and will need a replacement. call novakon.

Hello Cyberk,

Our crew is currently at Cabin Fever EXPO, but we did get your phone message. Please send me an e-mail to [email protected] and we can go over what we can do to help you.

Regards,
    Novakon Team