588,468 active members*
4,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

No boot on EZ-Mill DX2 BPT

Hello:

It's me again.

Some may have seen my previous post, about our mill not booting. I was able to make that work, with some help "MachinsTek" and others. Thanks!!

Now our BPT won't boot, again. We are getting a checksum error.
    After reading some more threads on this board, I suspect the battery is dead, since the date and time are off as well. I have the following questions, which I tried to research here, but found conflicting/confusing info.
    We have a BPT EZ-MILL DX-2, serial number EZ-3309, 2-Axis control.

1.) How many batteries are they?
    2.) Where are they located?
    3.) How do I remove them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peter aka MMM2003

Exclamation

I just checked again.
    I found one, rectangular, black 3/4 x 1.5" box on the motherboard. It reads the following:
    Real-time clock
    Lithium Battery
    A2116A

Is that the CMOS battery? Are there others? I didn't find any other obvious ones.
    How do I change it? It seems soldered in place.

While I know very little about bridgeport machines, from my experience in computer hardware what you've described sounds very much like the CMOS battery to me. I have never come accross any system that uses more than one.

It should have a voltage written on it somwhere. Any lithium battery of the same voltage available from somewhere like maplin, farnell or RS should do the job fine.

If the black box only has two pins soldered into the board, its probably safe to assume that it is just a battery so there should be no problem if you disconnect all power from the machine, desolder it, and replace with a new one.

If it has more than two pins its possible that it is a combined battery and RTC chip in one. If that is the case finding a replacement may be more difficult, but not impossible.

Please bear in mind these are just a few ideas based on my knowledge of PC repairs, I cant gaurntee that my suggestions wont cause your bridgeport to spontaniously combust
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

This is the CMOS battery. It is actually a device that usually plugs into a IC socket. Do a goole search for this device. I did this for the V2XT group on Yahoo. They called and found out that the manufacturer has changed names. It was DALLAS. They were sent some free samples by just calling.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)