588,138 active members*
5,342 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

No motor movement

I am new to the CNC world so bare with me. I am in the wireing stage of my home built CNC (thanks mostly to Phooddaniel). i have put together a powersupply from an old computer. it is a 250w atx (was) power supply. i am getting the correct voltage out of the power supply but i can't get the motor to turn. the motors are 425 oz/in and the driver board is from ebay and is a 3 axis driver board made by Univelop_Tech_LLC. I have just the one motor connected to see if i have everything connected correctly. i have the driver board connected to my computer but i'm not sure if thats all i have to do is just connect the 2 ends of the cable in and thats it? when i try to move the motor by useing the up and down arrows the numbers move on the screen but the motor does nothing. i am useing Mach3 with lazycam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor wireing 015.jpg  

Red face

When you apply power to the drive card does the stepper lock up. It should.

I fried my Xylotex drivers by hooking up the drive card to the stepper incorrectly. You only get one chance to hook it up correctly.

Go through your connections one by one and check for accuracy, before applying power.

Good luck.

What voltage is the power supply? 5v won't work.

i checked the connections to the driver board and they are correct ( i think) the voltage is set +12.

have you asked the manufacturer or seller?
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Red face

ok. i have rechecked the power supply and it appears that there is something wrong with it. figures, i built it. oh well i have ordered one thing time instead of makeing one. we shall what happens when it arrives. i just hope i didn't fry the driver board.

also check the literature that came with the board,i dont see any jumpers on your board,most boards have jumpers for steps like full,1/2 and so on,and for enable,maybe yours has no enable jumper,also is this a unipolar board,looks like one,but im not sure,never heard of it,how many wires are your motors?

Quote Originally Posted by SORCHEROR View Post
    also check the literature that came with the board,i dont see any jumpers on your board,most boards have jumpers for steps like full,1/2 and so on,and for enable,maybe yours has no enable jumper,also is this a unipolar board,looks like one,but im not sure,never heard of it,how many wires are your motors?
    motors are 8 wires. i just checked the manual and there are jumpers for the steps. they are just behind the heat sink. i need to trey and configure them so i can test the motor when the new power supply arrives.

i see only four wire hookups on the board,how did you hook up the motor the first time?and make sure you seperate the 8 wires for what coil they come from,theres two coils in a stepper motor,4 wires for each coil ,there is a left and right side coil wire and 2 center taps,if you hook them up in series the 2 center tap wires for each coil will be tied together and taped of wirenutted,i prefer solder and shrinkwrap,which way did you hook it up?

Unhappy

i see only four wire hookups on the board,how did you hook up the motor the first time?and make sure you seperate the 8 wires for what coil they come from,theres two coils in a stepper motor,4 wires for each coil ,there is a left and right side coil wire and 2 center taps,if you hook them up in series the 2 center tap wires for each coil will be tied together and taped of wirenutted,i prefer solder and shrinkwrap,which way did you hook it up?
    i seperated the start of the coils and connected the common wires then insulated them per the motor wireing diagram. i then connected the motor to the driver board with the 4 remaining coil wires as per the instructions. hopefully the new power supply will confirm the connections are good. the power supply that i put together is not working and i don't want to take a chance at damageing the motor or driver, if it's not too late.

but you still need to get the four remaining wire correct,use a continuity tester,check for continuity across two at a time,and mark each pair that have cont.that is each coil,one set will be A-,A+ and the other will be B-,B+
    if you get that wrong you might fry the board

but you still need to get the four remaining wire correct,use a continuity tester,check for continuity across two at a time,and mark each pair that have cont.that is each coil,one set will be A-,A+ and the other will be B-,B+
    if you get that wrong you might fry the board
    so there will be 2 wires in A ,A+ and 2 wires in B,B+? i hope i don't sound to ignorant but i don't want to fry my board.

you have 8 wire on your motor,4 go to one side,or coil,and 4 to the other
    using a continuity tester the 4 that have continuity are for one coil and the other 4 are for the other,mark them some how as coil A and coil B,than you need to decide which are the center taps,or wires for each coil,using ohm meter the 2 wires that draw lower ohms are the center taps i believe,the 2 center taps for A and B you need to tied,or solder together,the other 2 wires for each coil are A-,A+ and B-,B+,very important to get it right,this way to wire the motor up is called series,you should have some diagrams with your motor?

Unhappy

you have 8 wire on your motor,4 go to one side,or coil,and 4 to the other
    using a continuity tester the 4 that have continuity are for one coil and the other 4 are for the other,mark them some how as coil A and coil B,than you need to decide which are the center taps,or wires for each coil,using ohm meter the 2 wires that draw lower ohms are the center taps i believe,the 2 center taps for A and B you need to tied,or solder together,the other 2 wires for each coil are A-,A+ and B-,B+,very important to get it right,this way to wire the motor up is called series,you should have some diagrams with your motor?
    i just checked the motors and they have the same reading as far as the ohms goes. i get continuity when i checked the black/white black. it seems that the wires are color coded (ie.. red white/red, blue blue/white and green white/green). i hooked up the new power supply today and released the magic smoke from the driver board. so now i have to get a new one but, i need to figure out the correct wireing before i even think of putting power to the board.

Jim

whats make motors?i believe the center taps are the stripped wires and the solid are the ends of the coils,you will need to properly mark the wires for continuity

you need to check all the wires for continuity,clip one tester lead to 1 wire and the other check all the wires,3 should get cont.,mark those as one coil,
    check the last 4 wires and mark them for the other coil,now for each coil marked,take the stripped wire(2) and tie them together,do this for the other coil as well,now you have only 2 wires for each coil,those shoul be solid color
    they will hook to A-,A+,B-,B+,BEFOR YOU TURN ON POWER,check with the cont. tester and you should have cont between A- and A+,B- and B+,also check A to B,you should not have cont between A and B ,than you can turn on the power and test it,also follow any other directions the board comes with as im not familar with that type of board

whats make motors?i believe the center taps are the stripped wires and the solid are the ends of the coils,you will need to properly mark the wires for continuity
    they are NEMA 23 DUAL SHAFT STEPPER MOTOR 425 OZ-IN from Keling Technology Inc. here is the link from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120148321361

i know from the motor diagram the start of the coil is the color stripped wire. does that make the solid color wires the center taps?

Jim

ok jim,looking at the diagram,i think you should use parrallel not series,look at the wire diagram for parrellel,reason for parrallel is the rated volts are lower to better suit your board,this is how to wire it up
    blue/white and red/white=A
    blue and red=A-
    green/white and black/white =B
    green and black =B-
    you tie the 2 wires together and hook them up to the board at the correct spot,A,A- B,B-

Color drawing of wiring Diag.

ok jim,looking at the diagram,i think you should use parrallel not series,look at the wire diagram for parrellel,reason for parrallel is the rated volts are lower to better suit your board,this is how to wire it up
    blue/white and red/white=A
    blue and red=A-
    green/white and black/white =B
    green and black =B-
    you tie the 2 wires together and hook them up to the board at the correct spot,A,A- B,B-
    Here's a MS Paint drawing of what Sorcheror is saying. Verify for your self that the colors match what scorcheror is saying and I have drawn.

Double check all connections before powering up, a miswire can kill your control board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8 Wire Parallel 2.JPG  

Page 1 of 2 12