588,206 active members*
4,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: noisy x axis

noisy x axis

The x axis makes a growling sound when in rapid feed. The thrust bearings are fine and when feeding at F.40 is ok. I was told it might be the servo,any ideas?

swap x and y servos, but leave everything else alone, if noise moves to y then it can only be the servo / servo wiring.

If that doesnt fix things, i would suggest using the y axis servo on x, driven by the y axis controller, and see if that makes any difference, as that would eliminate most of the electronics side of things.

If possible, disconnect the motor mechanically and run through the range of speeds, this may eliminate some mechanical problems which only show up at rapid rate, like chipped balls in the ballscrew.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Don't rule out the thrust bearings just yet, growling to me says thrust bearings. We had a really noisy Z, backlash was the same as it always had been, then all of a sudden, POW .018 of slop, then the Y started to go, still good on the backlash. The good thing is that the next time it happens you will know that "growling", and change them out before it goes too far.

If you have the wonderful water cooled screws, I would REALLY pay attention to the thrust bearings, change them, and then unplumb the screws. Its not like you are ripping around there at 2000ipm, besides they're pretty stout, and they have plenty of time to cool off during tool changes.

I WOULD ALSO CHECK YOUR AMPLIFIERS
    LIKE MENTIONED BY daedalus ABOVE ABOUT SWITCHING OUT THE SERVO
    CONTROLLER CARDS
    SWAP THE Y AXIS AMP WITH THE X AXIS AMP. IF THE PROBLEM GOES TO YOUR X AXIS YOU PROBABLY HAVE TO REPLACE THE AMPLIFIER.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON ONE OF MY FADAL VMC'S
    THE FADAL TECK TOLD ME THAT USUALY THE AMPLIFIERS JUST STOP WORKING RIGHT THERE. HOWEVER I HAD THIS WEIRD GROWLING NOISE
    AS THE Y AXIS MOVED BACK AND FORTH. I THOUGHT IT WAS DEFINATLY SOME KIND OF MECHANICAL PROBLEM, HOVEVER I CHECKED EVERYTHING
    AND ALL SEEMED TO BE WORKING FINE. THEN THE NOISE GOT WORSE AND WORSE. THE AMP WAS SLOWLY GETTING WORSE AND DYING ON ME.
    I SWAPED THE Y AXIS AMP WITH THE X AND THE NOISE WENT TO THE X AXIS. GOT A NEW AMP FROM FADAL AND PROBLEM SOLVED.

CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by little bubba View Post
    Don't rule out the thrust bearings just yet, growling to me says thrust bearings. We had a really noisy Z, backlash was the same as it always had been, then all of a sudden, POW .018 of slop, then the Y started to go, still good on the backlash. The good thing is that the next time it happens you will know that "growling", and change them out before it goes too far.

If you have the wonderful water cooled screws, I would REALLY pay attention to the thrust bearings, change them, and then unplumb the screws. Its not like you are ripping around there at 2000ipm, besides they're pretty stout, and they have plenty of time to cool off during tool changes.

What's the benefit of disconnecting the coolant to the screws?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    What's the benefit of disconnecting the coolant to the screws?
    From what I saw, the seals are crap, they break down and clog up the lines, and of course, that means no chilling fluid to the spindle. They also leak, and they leak right into the thrust bearings, which means nice rusted thrust bearings, that make a lovely growling sound.

I just don't see the need for it, its more of a gimick, the screws are pretty darn stout, its not like the machine is running 4000ipm and needs the cooling, unplumbing the screws just leaves one less thing to go wrong, and one less thing to maintain.

need some help ..... I have a problem on cnc lathe la250 Takisawa taiwan, my x axis noisy, but not alarm, and my center point does not change

Pull the cover plate off for the x axis coupler. Look and see how much coolant runs out. I just had to replace my x motor due to coolant getting into housing and then into servo. Disconnect coupler and run motor this will let you know quick if it is the problem.

The thrust bearings are fine and when feeding at F.40 is ok.

ok,thank you for your seggestion

I took of the way covers and found the problem.

Check your spider

The easiest way to determine if it is the motor or not, is to remove the motor from the bearing mount, and run it at the same speed to see if it still runs rough/ noisy. Chances are you may just need to clan the tach.

matter has been completed, the problem is the bearing

need some help, how to remove the alarm AL-90 on melservo Mitsubishi MR-J2S-40A