587,986 active members*
4,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Novakon Torus Pro (NM-200v3.1) Assembly and Modification Thread
Page 3 of 6 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by ram48 View Post
    What thickness lexan are you using?
    I just picked up a sheet of 1/4 inch in prep for my enclosure. I really like the look of the extruded channel.
    Thanks for the info and keep us up to date with the build .oh and take plenty of pics please
    ray
    I'm using 1/8in Lexan. The enclosure is made of 1010 size extruded AL (BOM Attached). The slots in the 1010 are 0.25in which does not leave room for the rubber gasket material. I wanted the enclosure to be coolant proof, so I reduced the Lexan to 1/8in and added rubber gasket material on both sides. Lexan will only be used on the front portion as it's pretty pricey. The remainder will be white 1/8in corrugated plastic sheet. Home depot sells it online for a fraction of what everyone else does Link Here. You get 10 sheets of 4' x 8' for $110. It will last me a long time......Don't tell anyone, it's one of my secret stashes :cheers:. 1/8in plywood could also be used for the enclosure walls if you really wanted to be frugal.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MRM,

What is the spindle runout on your PRO ?

Also as you start cutting alum and steel could you post performance indicating the type of endmill, RPM, IPM, DOC and axial depth.

Thx.

The Tormach tool holders are most useful, in my opinion, for production type work where time is money. I've found that manual height setting after a tool change goes pretty quick with experience. That said, I make lots of little 1-off parts.

Thanks for the info on the vise jaws.

Ray

Getting a bit closer

Quote Originally Posted by rayoung View Post
    Thanks for the info on the vise jaws.

Ray
    No problem. Here a vid of them in action:

Star Part Demo - YouTube

Here's where I bought them from:

Talon Grip Vise Set
    __________________________________________________ ____

The enclosure is coming together nicely (figure 1). Still have to add two of the side panels, but it is 90% done.

Here's how I built it

First I CNC cut a series of 12 "anchor straps" secure the enclosure to the chip pan (figures 2-5). Then, I manually bent the straps to conform to the angles at the base of the chip pan (figure 6). Finally, I attached the straps to the chip pan using 1/8" pop rivets (7-10).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0577.JPG   ANCHOR STRAP - Copy.jpg   CIMG0536.jpg   CIMG0539.jpg  

CIMG0540.JPG   CIMG0552.JPG   CIMG0547.JPG   CIMG0549.JPG  

CIMG0545.JPG   CIMG0542.JPG  

Cutting the Acrylic

Acrylic is like the force; there is a light side and a dark side.

I used a window framing technique by measuring each frame in three places and taking the mean (figures 1 & 2). Then, increased the measurements by 0.5" to account for the 0.25" slot in each of the 8020 frames. The acrylic was scored a minimum of 7 times to ensure easy separation (figure 3). Here is a good video on how to do this: Acrylic Video. I inserted rubber gasket materiel on both sides of the acrylic panels to make them moisture resistant (figure 4).

Installing the Door

I made piston mounts from 0.5" x 0.5" x 0.25" AL angle. Achieving the right fit was pure trail and error. Here are shots of the pistons in the full up and down position (figures 5-9). I bent the original door to a 90 degree angle for clearance (figure 10).

Going back in the shop for round two. Hope to get it all done by this weekend.

MRM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0564.jpg   CIMG0567.jpg   CIMG0568.jpg   CIMG0572.JPG  

CIMG0578.jpg   CIMG0583.jpg   CIMG0584.jpg   CIMG0589.JPG  

CIMG0580.JPG   CIMG0591.JPG  

Enclosure is just about done (figs 1-3). The keyboard and monitor were hard mounted to the enclosure for convenience (figs 4). Bought an MPG for VistaCNC for my lathe, but installed it on the mill; makes jogging around so easy that I bought one more for my other machine (fig 5). Tow small doors were added in the rear to access the manual oilier and head bolts (fig 6).

I just purchased a slew of high helix endmills (for AL) and will be making many test cuts to find the correct speeds an feeds. I will make a video of all the different combinations when completed.

After that, I'll be upgrading the coolant system well above the stock configuration.

Lastly, big thanks to John at Novakon over the last few weeks. I must of sent 10-20 emails to him and all were replied to in less than 2 hours. Customer service like that is hard to find.

MRM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0593.JPG   CIMG0607.JPG   CIMG0595.jpg   CIMG0598.JPG  

CIMG0601.jpg   CIMG0602.jpg  

Outstanding job. Thanks for taking the time to post your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by AiR_GuNNeR View Post
    Outstanding job. Thanks for taking the time to post your progress.
    Thanks. I was wondering if anyone was watching this .

I am watching (and thoroughly admiring) your progress too! Thanks a bunch!

I wish there were "like" or "thanks" buttons on here. Something to say "I liked your post" without having to add another post...

Hirudin.
    At the top right of each page there is 'Rate Thread'
    Someone else might like to say where the results are. I shouldn't have to search for that should I? I haven't found it yet.

edit: search for ratings in this page.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/faq.php

MRM

You just had to show up my shower curtain enclosure. One upmanship at its finest.

Seriously looks terrific!

John

Initial Cut Tests

Machined my first run of parts this weekend (video 1) and made a series of test cuts with HSS, Cobalt, and Carbide end mills (video 2 + Tool Table.xls). I used GWizard to get "starter" cut calcs then tested other speeds around those figures. My go-to endmill is the Alumamill (0.5in, High-Helix, 3-Flute, Carbide). It slots 0.2in DOC, 5130 RPM, at 42 IPM with NO VIBRATION and cuts Al like butter.

1st order of business is to upgrade the coolant system. I spent more time moving the coolant line that actually machining the parts (chair). Get ready for a nine nozzle, 1000 GPH tsunami! Attached are pics of the machining process (pics). Still have to drill and tap the holes for the lines.

Coolant Block Machining

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN9P6soZNM4[/ame]

Test Cuts

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBX7j3TmLlU[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0629.JPG   CIMG0635.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Really nice, indeed a little more pressure to keep chips away will do the job but nine hoses is a little insane Lol :P

Nice job, is a picture effect or seems that there's a little chatter in the upper right corner?

Quote Originally Posted by leix_99 View Post
    Really nice, indeed a little more pressure to keep chips away will do the job but nine hoses is a little insane Lol :P

Nice job, is a picture effect or seems that there's a little chatter in the upper right corner?
    No chatter here! That pic was straight off the mill. Still had coolant on it. Check second pic (post clean up).

That pissed you :stickpoke , just envy, you know :P Anyway, i watched the video with sound and it really sounds awesome, i want to see the coolant system, looks really promising!

Best regards

Summary

First: Big thanks to Bob Warfield and Hoss for their coolant articles. Both made all of this possible.

Bob Warfield: Flood Coolant Upgrade

Hoss: Flood Coolant Enclosure

I am happy to present my flood coolant upgrade (figs 1 & 2). I ran into three main issues when using flood coolant during my last part run: first, having to constantly re-position the coolant line to get coolant where it needs to go; second, lack of pressure to sufficiently clear chips; third, not having sufficient drainage/tank size to support prolonged cutting operations. These issues are not exclusive to the Novakon Torus Pro. On the contrary, they are shared with most stock CNC mills in this class; no names but you know who I’m talking about.

I'm adding one way valves to the system later to keep the coolant input line from returning to the tank. Furthermore, I’ll be cutting a few turners cubes next to test the new system so stay tuned.

The first issue: Re-Positioning Coolant Lines

The basic upgrade is in three pieces: Ring Upper, Ring Lower, and Manifold (fig 3).

The ring upper and lower consist of eight total coolant lines; three recessed, six external (fig 4). The recessed nozzles were used so manual tool changes could still be preformed. These nozzles have a 6mm diameter. This proved larger than the 1/8in desired nozzle diameter. I inserted 6mm SHCS screws with the centers drilled to 1/8in. The external nozzles are 1/8in diameter loc-line. All of the nozzles require no re-aiming once they are set due to their short length. Also, none of the coolant lines have to be moved to perform tool changes. Truly Set and Forget!

It attaches to the mill using two preexisting holes under the spindle (fig 5). The manifold accepts 3/4in ID hose and feeds two 3/8in tubes. It attaches to the mill using the same mounting system as the previous nozzle (fig 6).

The second issue: Lack of Pressure for Chip Clearance

The basic upgrade is in two pieces: Pump and Feeder Filter.
    Pump: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-VIP50-Submersible-Utility/dp/B000CQ6CU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358763005&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F2+HP+Pump"]1/2 HP Pump[/ame]

Feeder Filter: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-HF-150A-4-Inch-Sediment-Filter/dp/B0000DH4LN/ref=sr_1_19?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1358759955&sr=1-19&keywords=culligan+filter"]Culligan 3/4in ID Filter[/ame]

The pump specs are ½ HP, 2500 GPH @ 20psi. This is a serious upgrade from stock. A bypass was added as all of the available GPH was not required. Also, it can pass swarf up to ½ in diameter. The pump is controlled by Mach3 via external 120V to the stock control relay (figs 7 & 8).

I had a problem with chips getting into the feeder line, so a filter was added (fig 9). Pressure gauges were added to both sides to indicate when the filter requires changing (differential pressure).

The third issue: Sufficient Drainage/Tank Size

Tank: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-18351006-30-Gallon-Lapis-6-Pack/dp/B001RCUN8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358763090&sr=8-1&keywords=30+gal+tote"]30 Gallon Plastic Tote[/ame]

Filter: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunterra-337106-Prefilter-Gallon-Capacity/dp/B000E5T71O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358763123&sr=8-2&keywords=pond+filter"]Sunterra Pump Pre-filter[/ame]

Drains: Standard Sink Drains (2)
    Drain Lines: 1.25in Diameter

The sump tank has a 30gal capacity (fig 10). I’ve only filled it to 18 gal and can run the pump for hours without worrying about the coolant supply (fig 11). An additional coolant line was added and the original return was removed/relocated/replaced with 1.25in sink drains (figs 12-15). The coolant drain on the left was routed through the mill stand base. This required drilling 2.5in holes on each side (fig 16). Coolant pooling in the enclosure is now non-existent. The return filter does a very good job of catching the chips; can’t find any in the tank (fig 17-19). The stock return was 5/8in dia and didn't get the coolant back fast enough IMHO; don't have that problem now .

Video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB9Y5dloGBk]Torus Pro Coolant Upgrade - YouTube[/ame]

Coolant is shooting at five psi in the video. It can go up to 15 psi if required, but five should be enough for what I’m doing. My tooling ranges from 0.5in to 1.5in Length. Four of the nozzles are aimed at the 0.5in level and four are at the 1.5in level.

:wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee: :wee:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0689.JPG   CIMG0681.JPG   CIMG0644.jpg   CIMG0655.JPG  

CIMG0654.JPG   CIMG0658.jpg   CIMG0674.jpg   CIMG0677.jpg  

CIMG0699.JPG   CIMG0664.JPG   CIMG0671.JPG   CIMG0649.jpg  

CIMG0690.JPG   CIMG0692.JPG   CIMG0697.JPG   CIMG0695.JPG  

CIMG0668.JPG   CIMG0665.jpg   CIMG0694.JPG  

This is awesome! Thanks for the detailed writeup!

What?? Only 8 nozzles?? :-) Guess I'll have to deal with this as soon as my machine shows up - maybe next week? I find two 1/4" nozzles at high flow to be adequate, but it sounds like I'll definitely need to beef up the drainage. On my knee mill, I have two pumps - one feeding the nozzles, the other is strictly a return pump. Might do the same thing here - put a ~1 gallon reservoir where the drain is, with a pump in it to return the coolant quickly to the 15 gallon external reservoir.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    What?? Only 8 nozzles?? :-)
    LOL! Go big or go home. I hated aiming nozzles. Plus, with this pump what else am I going to do with all that psi and GPH? :drowning:. I love flood coolant now.

Page 3 of 6 12345