587,112 active members*
4,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Oh Moshi!

Oh Moshi!

I want to use Corel from my main desktop which has XP pro,
    Apparently Moshi is not compatible with pro & I have had to put XP home on a separate computer operating the engraver.
    Any help on how to overcome this?

Also I think I have a bad stepper motor, any suggestions on how to confirm this or where to find a new one?

Currently rebuilding the carriage head as it is flimsy, & out of alignment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side view.jpg  
    N

You are not wrong about that being out of alignment. Was it built that way or did it occur in transit ?.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Apparently it was built that way
    N

That amount of alignment error is not all that important unless it is on the first mirror. I would leave it alone.

The stepper, what symptoms? How long is this piece of string?

Swap the X and Y cables and see if the problem follows the cable ro stays with the motor?

I went ahead & lowered the mirror on the carriage to the same plane as the other mirror (taking apporx 3.5mm of the standoffs)
    I did numerous passes with the laser on strong enough to burn paper
    Once I was sure the items I was going to engrave were in the correct location I did another pass with the laser power increased, the result was terrible. see photo( the bottom text reads "Original, 5 passes)
    Why would the laser power increase affect the movement of the carriage/stepper motor?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nameplate4.bmp  
    N

Purely a guess but increasing the laser power setting will increase the current draw on the whole system and perhaps your stepper driver / drivers are being starved of the power they require.

Tweakie.

On second thoughts it looks like you have a ghost image perhaps caused by a reflection from part of the final mirror/lens housing. Try realigning the beam position through the lens.

Tweakie.

So I thought it was a humorous translation error when I discovered the zoom in & zoom out in Moshi were the opposite of what they were labeled.

I went to swap the X & Y motor wires, but didn't have enough length in the "X" motor so I decided to simply disconnect & see how thing ran. (The PCB has the X axis motor label)

But apparently there are more problems with the way things are labelled.

when the X axis is disconnected from the PCB it continues to run.....(Y does the same)

Thank you for the feed back so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PCB.JPG  
    N