587,997 active members*
1,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Oil Pump problem?

I think the oil pump on my 2006 VF-2SS is not working. I didn't see any alarms, but I notice my coolant is not longer being covered with tramp oil. I like not having to run the not too effective oil skimmer, but I kind of wonder why? The manual plunger only has about ~1" of travel and doesn't go all the way down, Is that normal? Oil pressure gauge shows pressure when I manually raise the plunger.

Can I open up the way cover to check on the ball screw? Do I loosen the way cover screws near the table or near the axis ends?

thanks,

John

If your gage is showing pressure, the pump is likely working. There are several bronze filter elements inline with the lube oil that become plugged, most often resulting from the use of low-grade way lube. Low-quality way lubes contain waxes such as beeswax and/or carnauba wax which restrict or completely plug these fine filter elements. You can change these filters on your own for a relatively cheap cost. Check your parts manual for the number of elements and replace them all.

Replacing the filters will be really finicky, even taking off the way covers is finicky. If you have been using the oil Haas recomends it is not likely anything is blocked. Also based on my experience it is not likely the pump has failed. You can do a test with the manual pump. Pull it up and when you release it the pressure gauge should show pressure (I forget how much). This should drop to zero in more than ten minutes but less than thirty minutes. If it drops quickly there is probably a leak somewhere. If it drops very slowly then something is blocked.

You should also look at the oil level. If it has not dropped then aomething is probably wrong. Also look at the waste oil bottle, if this is empty then way oil is not getting through.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.