588,225 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma LT300 independent work with main and sub-spindle simultaneously

Okuma LT300 independent work with main and sub-spindle simultaneously

Newbie to Okumas and multi-turret/spindle combos. We have a near permanent job on our LT300. Currently, we have all live tooling in the A-turret, and a combination of stagnant and live tooling in the B-turret. We are basically turning the part and doing face work with the B-turret, then the A-turret comes in and does cross-holes and milled pockets/index work. The sub-spindle comes over to do the passover with the B-turret parting off. Then the B-turret moves to the sub-spindle and finishes work on the back face of the part(this includes stagnant and live tooling).

All of this work is done with A-turret waiting until B-turret completes, and vice versa. I want to make it so that once the B-turret finishes its turning/face work, it can go to the sub-spindle(where the previous part was pulled and parted) and do the back face work; while the A-turret proceeds with its live tooling work on the main spindle.

I understand the use of P codes, but am having a sync alarm issue when telling the machine to turn the sub-spindle on(work being done on B-turret), while initializing live tooling with the A-turret working on the main spindle.

I can post my current program, but its extremely long due to some engraving and pocketing(and could use some cleaning up). I can also share the part print via email, in case it is needed to get an idea of the work.

Any sample programs would help.

That's because C axis must be clamped in order to use live tooling.
    The machine doesn't have the option to work both spindles fully independently, I guess.
    It is running two sepparate part programs simultaneously, what you want in fact.

Surely it does. I've seen LT's do multi-op work before. It's got to be more of a spindle sync m command issue or something, right?

was it main spindle as clamped C-axis and second spindle normal revolution?

Throughout the majority of A-turret work(on C1), C-axis is clamped. It's near 50/50 live/stagnant for B-turret on C2.

I program and work an LT. these stupid Okumas are the biggest pain in the ass to get working simultaneously. whats your alarm? I've seen probably every alarm in the book on my machine and solved the problem. well, most of them. but oh, what a nightmare :-(

It was either 1215-02 or 2472-01, pretty sure 1215. Basically alarmed under machine lock when verifying the program. The alarm happens when A-turret is at the main spindle with M110 active using live tooling and the sub-spindle is given an m3/m4 command with B-turret.

so 'S.M Command Asynchronous' ?

very common alarm on twin turret Okumas. unfortunately Okuma have no f***ing idea about how to effectively allow a twin turret machine to run efficiently. that's one of the most annoying alarms you will see.
    basically you have to have the same crap in both programs at some particular point.
    but the alarm is so stupid because it covers a dozen things. you have to do some trial and error to figure out what the machine wants.......

1->Mismatch of constant cutting speed codes (G96 and G97)
    2->Mismatch of turret selection commands (G110 and G111)
    3->Mismatch of S commands
    4->Mismatch of spindle rotation commands (M03, M04 and M05)
    5->Mismatch of spindle drive gear range commands (M40 through M44)
    6->Mismatch of M00 and M01
    7->Mismatch of M19 command
    8->Mismatch of M110 and M109
    9->M271, M272 instructions are different.
    10->M371, M372 instructions are different.
    11->M142, M143 instructions are different.
    [Probable Faulty Locations]
    Mismatching S and/or M code command in simultaneous four-axis cut program.
    Always designate the same S and M code commands at both turrets.

Can also be caused by P-codes in the wrong place.

It's also possible your machine may not have some option that allows it to run both turrets on different sides (left/right). Generally the machine must have the same gear, same G96/G97 and same S. Possibly #4 is the problem but it's impossible if you want to turn on one chuck (M3) and mill on the other (M5). The M codes can't be the same. the controller is assuming you are doing synchronous turning with both chucks spinning and wants M3 on both spindles.

We both know that the two separate turrets and two separate chucks are totally independent and could do turning on one and milling on the other but as I said Okuma have not figured that part out yet. At least not in an easy way that can be understood by the average CNC Programmer.

In my case if I couldn't solve the asynchronous problem in an hour or two I generally just make the other turret wait. A wait of a few minutes is better than no production while you fight with the controller for several hours or days. Many times I would have loved to just set the machine on fire then walk away :-/

Depending on your machine spec you may have some other G/M codes to allow that. Check your manual G/M code list.

you should check more closely about the machine you saw that could do what you want and see if it has anything extra to allow that.

Yeah, I agree that its a mismatch in rotation commands, because that's essentially what I want. We are probably just going to get our applications guy from Gosiger in here and let them pick it apart if it can be done. I would like to see true independency of spindles/turrets, but I'm guessing that's a pipedream.

it is option for machines after OSP7000.
    The best, what (maybe) is possible on this OSP (without the special option) is independent spindles rotation speed, separate CC speed with slave ZA+XA and ZB+XB.
    is not possible to engage C axis on the main spindle (ZA+XA) and conventional cut ZB+XB on subspindle without special option on this machine.

Edited: the assumption posted above is wrong - proved practically

any idea what the option is called?

Checked through it again, and it is reason #6. Look ahead is seeing an M0(for an operator to check a drill) on the B-turret before A-turret is finished. I will time out the toolpaths on A-turret and P-code the match up between the two and see if that gets me further. Can't believe I missed that.

I had a couple minutes between production to run through my program in machine lock, and everything read through. Will run tomorrow and see if I get my desired results.

LT machines use G140/G141 codes much like the P codes for timing. When you are finished with both turrets working in G140 (main spindle ) mode, put in a G140 on your G13 (A turret) & a G141 on your G14 (B turret) . This will create a "switch point" in your program that works like the waiting P code. Once they are in their own spindle mode, they will run Completely independent as if they're two separate machines with no P codes required whatsoever. Use G140/G140 as timing again when you want to have them "rejoin" each other.

They really aren't as bad as is being said here - once you understand the basic rules of an LT.

Best regards,

Yeah, I understand using G140 and G141, the main issue just boiled down to having an M00 in the program on B side that didn't sync up with A side. Got that fixed and now everything is running perfect. Thanks for the help guys!