588,632 active members*
5,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Old multicam capable of 3d carving?

Hi all,

I'm a cnc novice and I am considering purchasing a multicam 6610 refurbished from multicam. I was pretty set on the machine after talking to the sales person, who assured me that it would be capable of 3d carving with the proper cam software. I spoke with a tech support person their today who was unsure as he didn't have the knowledge/experience with anything beyond 2.5d carving. If the machines controller isn't capable of 3d carving, is it something I could upgrade using a Keling contoller?

Sorry for the beginner questions!

I think you need to understand the definition of 3d vs 2.5d, if you are using a 3-axis CNC, then you will only be able to do 2.5d or relief type carving like this :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACCLogo.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	145424
    to be able to do true 3d you will need either a 4th axis or you will need to slice a 3d image, cut it and then glue the pieces together like the 2nd photo.

Name:	DSC00762.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	145425
    The finished product.

Name:	DSC03454.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	145426
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of varying opinions on this but this is how I do it. Much of the process will involve the software you use, I use EnRoute pro but there are plenty of others out there. Do some searches for 3d CNC carving.
    Hope this helps.
    Paul

if you are using a 3-axis CNC, then you will only be able to do 2.5d or relief type carving like this
    Most refer to this as 3D work, and this is what the original poster is asking about.

2.5D usually refers to flat work, where the X and Y axis are the only axis moving. If all 3 axis are usually moving at the same time, then it's considered 3D.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Paul,

I understand what a 4th axis/rotary stage is. My understanding in CNC parlance was that 2.5d meant no ramping on depth (ie the z axis can't ramp up and down as the head moves xy). Perhaps my understanding of the terminology is incorrect? Anyways, the Multicam has a z stepper, but the tech said he thought it could not ramp up and down as it routed, that effectively it just set a depth for a pass and sat there. Sounded weird to me.

Eforer, You and Gerry are correct on the definition of 3d vs 2.5d however because you said you were a novice I wanted you to understand that you can't route something 360 deg without a 4th axis, but you seem to understand just fine. As for the MultiCams capability, if the tech says it can't use the Z for 3d that sucks, it must be a really old one, I would ask the salesman to confirm what he said, maybe refer him to the tech you spoke with and find out which one is right or ideally, have him cut you a sample with it?

1999 model does 3D OK

My 1999 vintage H-board machine does 3D just fine.

-Jim Hart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brightened bird.jpg  
    My main machine: Multicam MG series (MG101) with original Extratech H971 controller, Minarik servo motors, Electro-Craft BRU-series drives, 4KW Colombo. Let's talk Multicam!

I'm guessing this tech is probably very new at multicam, are you talking about a 6000 series machine here? that should have servo's not steppers and will be able to do what you are talking about.