588,033 active members*
5,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Old Newal readout, bit flakey.

My Newall DRO readout head failed, it had to be left on as it took a while to settle down and work correctly;
    I switched it off for some reason, I switched it on a few days before I needed it and there was no display!
    I spent a week or so poking it with my finger, resoldering dirty looking joints and I replaced the MCU dip socket.
    Eventually It came up with SF when switched on and after a minute changed to PF then worked correctly.
    I did something this afternoon, luckily it involved drilling holes in a large casting and I could see if any of the holes
    were greatly out of place. I went to the next location and it was clearly miles out, I went back to the origin and
    it was half an inch out on the Y axis. The Y axis jitters on the last digit when your moving the X axis.
    I wondered if anyone knew anything about them, it's a digipac 5, I have another complete one to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by integerspin View Post
    My Newall DRO readout head failed, it had to be left on as it took a while to settle down and work correctly;
    I switched it off for some reason, I switched it on a few days before I needed it and there was no display!
    I spent a week or so poking it with my finger, resoldering dirty looking joints and I replaced the MCU dip socket.
    Eventually It came up with SF when switched on and after a minute changed to PF then worked correctly.
    I did something this afternoon, luckily it involved drilling holes in a large casting and I could see if any of the holes
    were greatly out of place. I went to the next location and it was clearly miles out, I went back to the origin and
    it was half an inch out on the Y axis. The Y axis jitters on the last digit when your moving the X axis.
    I wondered if anyone knew anything about them, it's a digipac 5, I have another complete one to experiment with.
    check circuit board for cracked solder joints?

perhaps as a newall distributor we could simply sell u a new one for a lot less hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    perhaps as a newall distributor we could simply sell u a new one for a lot less hassle?
    I have 30 quid invested in the pair of readouts, capacitors and other bits, can't buy another one now;-)

What type of Newall is it? Most Newall's have a simple fix, then its either a new circuit board or a new unit. Depending on what unit you have, there is one or two flex cables on the inside. Normally one connecting the keypad to the circuit board and one connecting the circuit board to the power supply. Clean the connectors and pins of the two flex cables and see if that helps. If that doesn't, the only boards that Newall (at least here in the States) offers replacement parts for is the C70, C80, and the newest DP700 (but those need to be sent to Newall for repairs).