588,476 active members*
5,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 25 of 107 1523242526273575

Re: OmioCNC report

I think either saving workspace fixtures, quitting, or both locks it in - sorry, can't remember which.

what version of mach are you running
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What feedrates and spindle RPM are you guys using for Aluminium??
    800L with 800W spindle

I use 10.000RPM with a 6mm 2 flute at around 550 / 650mm feedrate.
    But I think it's far from optimal.

Is it an HSS or carbide tool? I keep forgetting and go back to the surface rate tables in Machinery's Handbook each time I run a job but, if that's HSS I'm thinking it might be a bit quick. The feedrate is obviously dependent on the RPM, I try to maintain about a 0.05-0.1mm chip load (0.002-0.004").

Hi everybody, I'm Josh and a new owner of an X6-2200 with the orange box, I'm using Fusion 360 and have zero experience with CAD/CAM or CNC. I'm in central Mexico in a town of about 100,000 and am pretty sure I'm the only one here with a CNC machine so I'm really glad this thread exists. I've spent the last 3+ years making custom eyewear by hand and am ready to start automating the process, I figure this is a good way to start.

The X6-2200 is far more powerful than I thought it would be, which is nice. It vibrates and resonates through my wooden bench top, amplifying every sound the machine makes - so I intend to go get some sheet steel and lay it on top of the bench hoping that the mass will dampen the sounds and vibrations. I live in a ridiculously noisy neighborhood - barking dogs, parades, church bells, fireworks, mexican polka, etc...but the neighbors and myself don't need to listen to the sound of a singing work bench all day.

I intend to upgrade to 4th axis if CNC works for me and my process and the one offered by Omio looked schlocky and this thread didn't have anything good to say about it.

Problems I've run into so far are getting the z-axis to even move to touch the probe, I see that covered a few posts prior to mine and will try later; also, I'm having trouble with g-code & fusion - the simulation looks fine in Fusion and the file shows up in the files page of the control box, but hitting start does nothing. Exporting for generic mach 3.

That's where I'm at right now, looking forward to understanding how to make this work.

Note that the instructions for the touch probe are very specific to Mach3 - with an orange box they will be completely irrelevant. Do post up what you find in your search for this and getting the programs working, you're the first person I can recall posting in here who owns an orange box so future owners will probably come looking for a way out of their own troubles. And you're in the best position to help them out.

As far as the output of your CAM not working, I suggest writing a few simple programs in text files on your flash drive and seeing if you can run all of them. Essentially put it into relative mode and move one axis a small amount in one direction and back again. The 10, 200 are metric, if you're working inches convert them from 10mm and 200mm/min.

For the X axis:
    G91
    G01X10F200
    X-10

For the Y and Z axes, substitute the Xs above with Y or Z.

If these don't work you have issues on your machine - either mechanical, configuration or operation wise (taking it out of reset, homing the machine before you run programs etc).

If these do work then the fun really begins, it'll mean there's likely some incompatibility between the POST output and the orange box command interpreter.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Thanks Dharmic - the simple code worked just fine, as did the test cut provided by Omio.

Here's from their manual, regarding the omio-epl-4f controller:

"The OMIO-EPL-4F control system is a professional CNC engraving control system, we developed it for professional users. It uses ARM + FPGA architecture design, which offers reliable performance, high precision control, and is easy to operate. Uniaxial output pulse up to 500KHz, adjustable pulse width, supports high versatility FANUC compatible G-code instruction set."

So I switched my post-processor to write FANUC code. No luck. I'm going to contact Omio and Autodesk and see what either of them have to say.

Damn, that's annoying. Looks like you - and every other user of the orange box with whatever CAM package - are going to have to diddle with the POST to make the gcode compatible.

You have an adventure ahead of you.

Rats.

Oh, I followed the directions for the tool presetter - it worked...once. Still trying to repeat it.

The response from Omio:

"I've not heard any of our user uses this software, we also have not used this software.
    you can try these CAM software: ArtCAM, AlphaCAM, Aspire, Artcut, Cut2D / 3D, CopperCAM, DeskProto, Type3, UcanCAM, these software can be directly export G-code file.

if you have any questions or need any help please feel free to contact us . thank you."

The tool setter works consistently as long as I'm not in the corner of the bed.

I am currently digging through the forums at Autodesk looking for a solution to writing code for the orange box.

Good luck in your hunt. I ended up (different CAD CAM package) having to copy/paste the FANUC post definition and modify it to get it to work with Mach3 and suspect you'll end up doing the same. Reminds me, I still have to change the post to deal in absolute XYZ, but incremental arcs.

The cool thing about Fusion's post processor is that it automatically opens Brackets so it can be edited manually, but I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. like this "absolute XYZ, but incremental arcs" - I don't know what that means.

If you had a nice easy flow of CAD->CAM->POST->controller and it all worked, you could get away with never having to read a line of g-code.

Sadly, you're now in the spot where you're going to have to understand what the POST is sending to the g-code so that, when you hit stuff not supported by the controller or done differently, you know what needs to change in the post.

absolute vs incremental is talking about how we tell the machine what to do. Either "go 10mm to the right from wherever you are right now" (incremental) or "go to X coordinate 10.0 from wherever you are right now" (absolute). When sending G02 and G03 commands for curves, a similar choice of incremental/absolute applies to how you define the centre point of the curve. Get it mismatched and all kinds of weird things happen to the tool path. Don't worry about it for now.

You're going to need to step through something generated by the CAM line by line until you hit stuff that breaks, look up that G-code that failed and learn about it, work out why the controller ain't doing what you want and alter the POST so it generates the code your controller needs. It's a somewhat laborious process but you'll come out of it at the end with a much better understanding of what's going on and a much better ability to fault find your programs down the road. It also gives you the happy skills to throw simple stuff directly into the controller without having to go through the CAD/CAM wringer first.

Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to respond to my posts. I spent as much time as I could this weekend reading about g-code, feeds and speeds, post-processors and going through Fusion's lesson plans.

Oops --dupe post--

Oops --dupe post--

Is there a way to delete your own messages?

Pardon the chain posts: I'm home now so I can type a bit more.
    (my first really long message seems to have disappeared, and I'm having some weird cookie issues with the forum... but anyways!)

Nice to meet you guys,
    I've been readint this thread the past few weeks as I've awaited my x6 2200 EPL
    I was leaning towards the glowforge kickstarter line until it got pushed back another half a year.
    I got my money back, fell in love with the x6, and am now fighting the good ol *made in china* fight.
    I've had it for almost a week now .

Regarding the GCode we are feeding to the EPL:

The test code examples start with:
    M03 S12000
    G04 P6
    G00 X0.000 Y0.000 Z3.000 F2500

and end with:
    G00 X-64.000 Y32.836 Z3.000 F2500
    G0 X0.000 Y0.000 Z5.000
    M05

-Doesnt use line numbering (N00, N01)
    .-compatible with: G0, G1, G2, G3, G17, G18, G19, G20, G21, G54, G55, G56, G57, G58, G59, G60, G81, G82, G83, G90, G91, G98 , G99. (According to the site)

And I dont know a whole lot else yet!
    I'm working in fusion for the moment and am also trying to resolve the post incompatibilities.
    Currently when I try to run any of the code ive exported as various formats (FANUC generic, Generic HAAS, Mach3 etc.) with every attempt the same occurs.
    The X Y and Z axis moves towards Y++ and X-- and Z++ continuously until it hits one of the Limit switches. (Note: Never spins up before this happens)* - so i assume this issue originates from the first lines of code.

I am going to go through thinning out the code and see if I can get a hit! I think I am getting close...er.
    Starting from the FANUC generic post G-code. Ill post some enclosure pics soon.

Cheers,
    -Jon

Okay, so I almost have this thing figured out. (at least essentials)
    The main thing being is that the controle system takes a very basic startup sequence.
    By cutting eeeeeverything unusual out before the tool paths first moves and fixing it to a more basic startup and it seems to be working.
    At least for the first facemill cut in my sequence.

Im going to be joining a few tool paths together next to see if we can get it all working together

I'll let you know my results in case it helps you Properwood
    I attached my first successfully running frankencode.

Im still narrowing a few things down.. but I remain optimistic.

Same thing happens to me! Moves til it hits one of the limits. I found someone in my town who can help me out, he's up for the challenge, I'll let you know what happens.

You guys are homing the thing after you reset or power it up, aren't you?

It's a dumb question but an easy one to miss: the controller needs to find zero before it can move anywhere, otherwise the destination of the move is anyone's guess.

I've been positioning the cutting bit over the origin of the workpiece and setting all axes to zero, if that's what you mean.

Page 25 of 107 1523242526273575