588,345 active members*
5,520 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Looking forward to an update on the progress and pictures...

Me to. Im using your photos as a guide on building mine!! LOL

Back at it.

Now that the temperatures have descended below 125 degrees, I can now safely enter my workshop and resume progress on the build. I managed to get more of the MDF parts for the gantries coated with paint and I am looking at getting the bearing assemblies completed. Now that my job has been eliminated, I have plenty of time to work on the build!

Bummer on the job, and Grats your back on the build. I thought for sure you would beat me to the finish.

Some progress.

I've gotten a sanding sealer applied to more of the gantry parts as well as a coat of primer. I've started sanding off the black coating on the steel pipe and I'm now looking into a support bench to mount the machine on. Anyone have any suggestions or basic drawings? Anyone? Bueller?

More pics coming soon.

ya i got one one sec

I actualy use this table. It is in sketchup the dimensions are correct for the machine size. Its a crappy model i threw together to make one weekend.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice table

Outstanding!

Nicely done, nego_0. Thanks for the file.

This should do the trick!

Inching forward

Almost have the gantry completed, save for the bearing mounts. The X-Axis torsion box should be finished this week. Still removing the black coating from the gas pipe. Designed the support stand and will begin working on that this week as well. Always something to do...

Now we're cookin'

Finally got all the MDF parts primed and ready for finish paint. All of the pipe rails have been stripped, sanded, and polished (by hand... ugh!) And I built the first X-Axis linear bearing assembly. Building the stand for the beast to ready it for completion. Pics coming soon - stay tuned!!! :banana:
    There are two words I always strive to never use - always and never. Always never lives up to expectations, and never always lets you down. Tim Guba (1959 - Always)

Good to see your still at it, Do you have a color in mind for it?
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

The color I have chosen is a nice shade of bright laboratory white. The stand for the unit, perhaps a modest battleship gray or flat black. Nothing too ostentatious or overly gaudy.
    There are two words I always strive to never use - always and never. Always never lives up to expectations, and never always lets you down. Tim Guba (1959 - Always)

Software

What software do people use on their machines?

I figure that you need some type of CAD software for design, some software for G-code generation, and some controller software such as Mach3.

Just wondering what y'all are using.

Thanx!

I started with IntelliCAD for drawing in DXF, Ace Converter to make the gcode (free) and TurboCNC for controller software, over time I switched to AutoCAD for Drawing, Cut2D for my gcode but am still using TurboCNC for my controller. I would like to try Mach3 and EMC2 just haven’t had the time to put into it.

Rob Wms
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Smile X-Axis Torsion Box Assembly

I may be slow, but at least I'm consistent!
    Here are the latest pics of my version of the CNC Router.
    It shouldn't take too much more to get this completed.

CNC Router Stand

So I have been making leaps and bounds in progress lately. I have designed and built the stand for the CNC Router.

Here is a picture of the frame.

I have also completed the Y-Axis gantry and will post pics of that soon.
    Stay tuned!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Router Stand - Frame.jpg  

Looking good chipzilla,

I bought Vectric Vcarve pro hit the ground running and never looked back . I had a couple of problems, and I do mean "I" .
    I thought there was something wrong sent file into Vectric they pointed out my problem in few hours .
    The support from Vectric and the Vectric forum is outstanding.

You can try it out for free, can even learn to use it while building your machine.

Download Trial Versions and Tutorials

Forum

Vectric Forum • Index page

Have fun and enjoy your build I know I did and have cut and built many things with it that I am very happy with .

Kent

opps forgot to say I went with Mach3 for controller

Together at Last

Finally got the stand and router together. The stand has a nice access hole cut out in the center in order to get at the gantry drive bits (not visible in this photo.)
    Not too much longer and I'll be making some SERIOUS wood chips!:banana:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Together at Last.jpg  

Very nice and clean build, Yup won't be long now for the chips to fly.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by chipzilla View Post
    So I have been making leaps and bounds in progress lately. I have designed and built the stand for the CNC Router.

Here is a picture of the frame.

I have also completed the Y-Axis gantry and will post pics of that soon.
    Stay tuned!
    LOL at first i thought you used my table drawing. It looks like yours is much improved!

ACME drive bits

Here's a question for y'all. As I am unfamiliar with the anti-backlash and bearing mounting for the ACME drive parts, can someone point me in the right direction of how these get mounted to the machine? Specifically, the gantry bottom. I have the dumpster.com Joe's kit.

Shouldn't the bearing blocks be mounted with the bearing against the MDF so the bearing doesn't fall out? Are there any pictures of these points available? Getting close to the end here and making a run for the goal line.

Thanks!!!

Page 2 of 3 123