587,947 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Onecnc question

Onecnc question

What is the differance between OneCNC and bobcam?

The officials will likely reply here, too, but as a user, my opinion is that OneCNC is a top notch CADCAM that is able to automate much of the toolpathing work that you'd have to create manually in Bobcad.

OneCNC is able to correctly import 3d models put out by other programs. Bobcad is wireframe only.

Thus, OneCNC recognises and allows you to work with surfaces and solids.

OneCNC has a superior part rendering system, plus their backplot rendering will show you the actual toolpath scallops, should you desire to zoom in that close to see what the surface will look like.

I'm not knocking Bobcad (too hard ), but OneCNC has technical support that is capable of answering most any question, plus they seem to have programmers available that can actually attack program bugs. Bobcad has been very slow to patch their software, and many users are aggravated by that. If that's how they want to run their ship, I guess they are entitled to do it that way.

If I had known about OneCNC at the start (years ago when I bought my first seat of Bobcad), I likely would have been put off by the price. Bobcad fills a niche for an uncertain new user who just wants to tinker a bit, without spending a big chunk. But after a while, if your machining gets serious, you get tired of doing things the long way, and that is where Bobcad is weak.

So Bobcad will often get you by (if you have more time than money), but OneCNC will help you get some work done. I'm only sorry I don't get to program with OneCNC more than I do.

I do still have a use for Bobcad version 18, in that I use its scripting function to create some highly customised post processor scripts that alleviate the boring task of writing simple 2d type programs. In effect, my scripts are a poor man's attempt to simulate the superior "scripts" that OneCNC has incorporated in their software.

Both software companies have working demos. By all means try them out to see what suits you. The user interface is somewhat similar, so if you have experience in one program, some of what you are familiar with will carry across.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OneCNC is what bobcad would be if they were paying attention. Toolpaths from solids beats manually generating defective tool toolpaths from bobcad's skin function anyday.

It's good for the money. I would like OneCNC to upgrade their toolpath strategies. (Spiral roughing in 3d, constant velocity swirl, clean out boxes)

Keith, wait till you see the new version they are advertising in the banner at the top of this page. I've seen preview movies of it, and it looks like you just may get what you wish for!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi everyone
    This may seem like a strange question but i have a real good reason for it but would rather not post that.
    We have been interviewing many cadcam packages on demo with a view to purchasing in the imediate future.
    Onecnc comes up trumps fgeis packaor value/proformance, ease of use.
    Looks like this is the package for us, but can any one let me know of the price in the UK of Mll Professional?
    Yess i have contacted Onecnc direct but differing responces leave me uncertain which is a real bummer as i need to gain this package.
    THANKS FOR YOURE HELP.

Hi Mossy,

The price should be the same all over, since there are no resellers. But, be aware that there are different packages with a similar name, but different pricing.

Mill2000 Production (older version)
    Mill2000 Professional (the older version, cheaper)

Mill Production XP (basic 2.5 d package, new series)
    Mill Professional XP (midrange of 3 packages in the new series)
    Mill EXPert (top of the line in the new series)

This could be the reason for the disparity you see in pricing. I believe the top of the line Mill EXPert is $6995, and the Mill Pro XP is $4495. I am just pulling these figures from memory and I could be out $500, but I think I am right on, or high in the prices. The older Mill2000 Professional version can be otained at a substantial discount. I am not sure of what the pricing is for it any more.

All prices in US dollars.

Sorry to rain on your parade , HuFlungDung, but in the UK (as for Germany) there is an official reseller - you'll find the details on the OneCNC website . The UK guy used to sell BobCAD here so he's aware of the problems and limitations with that product. OneCNC UK also have their own site including downloadable demos, etc. I'm thinking of making the jump from BobCAD v.18 myself, so I'm obviously interested. Maybe we should form a UK fan club?
    Scrit
    from the Sunny Pennines, England's Backbone

I have been contacted by Onecnc personnel, and all distributors are indeed "factory outlets"

Hello again
    Thank you for your'e help,i am happy to say i bought my copy of One cnc 2003 mill profesional last Monday and received it the following morning.
    Looking through the posts here is a great help in learning as i am new to all this cnc stuff.
    All you here from the public is praise for this software so how come the price is not up front and foremost on the web sites?
    You have a great product at a relitively cheep price so why not ride on that also, so many visitors to the site must be assuming a price fare out of their reach so not persue any further.
    Just a thaught and i felt i should explain my previose post with this followup.
    I am to be running a Bridgeport mill with Heidenhain TNC150.
    Can any one help with the setup of 2003 mill profesional with this control?
    Thank you.

Mossy,

Glad to hear you have joined the Onecnc family.

Have you tried the Heidenhain Post that ships with Mill2003?

If you have specific questions then there is a guy at Onecnc Uk by the name of Peter, who stops by here from time to time, who probably can help out with this control.

You also can check here: http://www.onecnc.net/

Welcome to the family.

Wink POSTING

Originally posted by mossy
    Hello again
    Thank you for your'e help,i am happy to say i bought my copy of One cnc 2003 mill profesional last Monday and received it the following morning.
    Looking through the posts here is a great help in learning as i am new to all this cnc stuff.
    All you here from the public is praise for this software so how come the price is not up front and foremost on the web sites?
    You have a great product at a relitively cheep price so why not ride on that also, so many visitors to the site must be assuming a price fare out of their reach so not persue any further.
    Just a thaught and i felt i should explain my previose post with this followup.
    I am to be running a Bridgeport mill with Heidenhain TNC150.
    Can any one help with the setup of 2003 mill profesional with this control?
    Thank you.
    HELLO THIS IS PETER
    THANKYOU TO WMS FOR THE INTRO IF YOU WOULD LIKE ASSITANCE ON YOUR TNC 150 CONTACT ME
    REGARDS
    PETER ONECNC UK SUPPORT

visited mossy
    wrote is post file for 150
    is happy(i did ask him to post result to forum)
    regards
    peter

Hi Pete
    Cheers for sorting me out on Friday, now up and running, no way i could have gotten the TNC150 to behave on my own.
    Thanks for everyone else who has helped to.

Just for the record Pete landed up here at 9.00AM and left at 9.15PM, hardley a break and didnt want to leave until i was happy, dont think many would do that on a Friday night!

Thanks, best wishes Chris.

Good job, Peter!

You gota love those OneCNC guys!1

You gota love those OneCNC guys!
    Way to go Peter. I knew you where the Man.

THANKS CHRIS , HU , WMS
    ONECNC IS THE WAY TO GO
    REGARDS
    PETER