587,619 active members*
3,614 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Opinions on an idea =)

Hybrid View

Opinions on an idea =)

I got a cool idea to go laong with my company for world-wide monitoring of maching facilities. I also want to go into a similar business for Relocation of machines. Freight in my opinion is an idiotic option and can lead to misplacement and possible damage to eqpt. not to mention the extremly long wiating periods. I would like to know from Owners of Machines themselves if they would feel a need in the industry to have private carrieers of machines done by people exeperienced in machine handling using eqpt. created for proper transport of multi-thousand dollar machines. This includes up to date transporting porcedures. I love semis my father is a well known local trucker by many businesses in the state for his capabilities. He is extremely knowledgable in machinary transport. I have picked up a lot from him and we consult each other with this kind of work. I know many truckers like him and would be able to have a small fleet set up for this. I also feel it would be great in situations where the machine needs to be at a different facility in a few days or less. Does this idea sound good?

Epik

I think that is a great idea, but you are gonna need alot of truck it you have a bunch of machines to truck at the same time.

Thanks!

Well maybe I could explain a little more in depth. I live in a poor area. And I come from modest means.... its been said I have a white color brain and a carhartt attitude. I been raised with trucking, gov't trustee work, construction, agriculture, mechanical labor, maintaneance, etc. The thing about the trucking part is that most themen around here are what you would call laborers. Most the haulers my father and I know are dumptruckers for aggregates, grain, asphalt etc. dumpbodies. Nothing is harder than driving dumptruck especially semi dump and a lot fo these guys would like to get out of this as they get older. it is all about the connections. Noone likes shovelling 8 inches of snow out of a 36' trailer first thing at 6 in the morning or getting out and tarping every load. One of the cool things about dry material hauling is they pick up construction tricks. Which is a MUST in transport. A lot of these guys own their own trucks and I plan on getting my own truck with a crew cab on it, a larger truck for pulling a gooseneck with a piece of machinery on the back. Noone gets more experience in greater quantities than the construction worker or farmer. mostly because they have to use what is handed to them by engineers and mahcinsits and make it work...sometimes better. I feel that is one of my greatest blessings of education.

My grandfather owns 325 acres and i over see them. he is getting old and I want the farm to go to my usages. I don't want to see another farm go to housing. Which in my opinion is unnecessary. People who don't need the land are wasting it. They are not resourceful of their resources. And it angers me DEEPLY. I want to hav my rolling hills in the back....... with a huge house in the back..mahcien shops on the side and buildings...... and executive offices all their. I want to continue using the land to produce something USEFUL to the world....... My next thread has some pictures of the place. My shop is the big red and white one. The person renting the farm didn't use the right practices and it was during a bad weather. I am wokring with the new renters to tile the land and bring it back up to over par.

I also plan on using this service to companies I moderate over only....sort of an incentive for using Epik Creations

Epik

Here are those pics

Sorry they rnt as good..... I had to shrink em to 800x800 to fit...... involved choppin off a lil bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 800X800 1.jpg   800x800 2.jpg  

Epik, As a mainteanance person in a large automotive factory, I have seen Many,many machines tossed in the garbage after contracts ended, I have also personally moved and re-moved machines the size of some average homes, and I know this much to be true.
    We always hire liscensed Millwrights,they bring their own 10 ton + fork trucks with tested rigging equipment...this stuff aint cheap. They are also required to have valid fork truck lisence, as well as certificates in rigging and hoisting.
    Many other skills which are brought by millwrights are the ability to use cutting torches, welders, piping equipment, and the ability to level machines to .0005"/10".
    Although I think there is room for people in this business, I have also seen companies we have dealt with go out of business, one multi-million dollar machine damaged and not available for production is enough to sink a moving company, also consider the insurance requirements.
    I don't want to scare you away,and I appologize if I sound negative,But this is what I have seen and experienced.
    Other requirement are like the ones you mentioned, very large truck bring their equipment and haul our equipment away. They require special road permits, and planned routes if weights/sizes are large, as you are probably familiar with having trucking back ground.
    My advice to you would be to start small, but strongly consider offering your customers a "complete package" (everything I mentioned above) and your phone will definetlly ring.
    good luck, if you have any detailed questions feel free to PM me.
    menomana