588,445 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > optocoupler as a switch to on/off VFD & ac servo drives?

optocoupler as a switch to on/off VFD & ac servo drives?

Hello guys,
    I am trying to build my own interface card and I need an experienced opnion.

What I am trying to include in my PCB is a spindle ON/OFF signal circuit.
    My VFD, a Chinese one, has about 6 terminals that can command fwd/rev/etc spins which utilize 24VDC as inputs.
    Meaning if I set function FWD to a S1 terminal, it spins when it detects 24V DC at S1 terminal.
    My Yaskawa & Samsung servo drives also have SERVO ON terminals which are 24VDC input, same as VFD luckily.
    My previous parallel port-breakout board has 2 relays to do this and I have been using one of this to command START/STOP VFD spindle so far. (no reverse spin, cause I didn't have any need for it)

Now my question is... will it be safe to do the same thing with an optocoupler - like 4N26?
    What makes me wonder is the datasheet of any optocoupler saying about CTR and I do not have any information on how much current is required at these 24V input terminals.

I am not talking about PWM or analogue or step/pulse to control VFD/servo drives.
    I am talking about a simple 24VDC input to make ON command and wish to know if any optocoupler output terminals can do this open/close task without overheating the chip.
    I failed to google about these 24VDC ON/OFF command terminals if they draw current or not. Internal circuits of these drives are in total confidentiality....
    Probably another opto-coupler to drive internal circuit? Then I should be safe to do it.
    At PWM zero, spindle is supposed to completely stop but sometimes real world is not that ideal and I would like to give very clear GO/NO-GO signals to the drives, that's it.

Thanks for the reading,

regards,
    Kevin

PS. I found documentation of Samsung's AC servo drives. 24VDC SV-ON terminal is opto-coupled one. I guess YASKAWA and any VFD would be same?

Re: optocoupler as a switch to on/off VFD & ac servo drives?

The 4N26 can be used to switch the inputs directly, IOW use the 4N26 transistor to sink the inputs to common etc.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al !
    I am already working on it using KB824, 2-channel optocoupler

regards,
    Kevin

Opto couplers are not only possible, they are a damn good idea!

Cheers
    Roger