587,997 active members*
2,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OSP5000L (green screen) RS232

OSP5000L (green screen) RS232

Hi all...new to this forum.

I need some help with an old LC-20 with the 5000L control (not a 5000L-G or 5020L)...can't get the RS232 to work...no comms with laptop when punch or read. I read through some of the threads but couldn't find info on this vintage 5000L control.

I have other LC-20s, 30s, an LB-15 and two LT-15s with 5000L-G and 5020L controls. Communication works fine with them so I am assuming my cable's pin configuration is good. I also used the same DNC configuration as my other Okumas except changed the baud rate to match this control

The optional parameter word and parameter bits only go up to 32...there is no page two for them. I have a manual but it doesn't tell me anything past parameter #10 of the optional parameter word. Info on optional parameter bit is even worse.

I did the following as recommended by Gossiger (local Okuma reps):
    I changed parameter 1 to 1 (optional parameter word) and parameter 10 to 300 (baud rate...which is a max of 350!).

I changed parameter bit 1 to - 00011011
    parameter bit 12 to - 00100010

So far, no matter what I've done i get the same result...no communication. When I hit READ then WRITE the cursor just continues to blink and the screen does nothing...doesn't even time out and I waited 15 minutes. i have to turn the control off then back on to get it to clear.
    When I try to punch all I get is a punch error.

Anybody have any advice? A Gossiger tech will be here tomorrow but he already told me on the phone it may be difficult to get this to work.

Thanks for any help.
    Brad

I had to change pin positions on the DB25 connector on an early 90's LB-25 to make it conform to all my other Okumas. I beleive the comm board terminals were labeled making the job easy.

Please advise us of what you find.

Rodman

Spaantje

Hoi bradleyk,

i am also new here.
    I read your question and was wondering if you change changed the wire on pin 4 to pin 9 on the Okuma side of the cable. This was a simple solution in our situation.

Spaantje.

osp 5000L help.

Brad,

This may help. I have a LB12, LB15(osp5000L), and 2 cadets( 1 w/5020 and the other w/700 control). My LB15 is the one I currently have some problems with.
    I'm using ProComm software. On the LB15, we get most of the program but are still losing some characters.
    I'm still working on a resolution, getting close. It's either a "bit" or the "baud rate".

Try this and see how it goes
    bit 1 to 00001011
    bit 12 to 00000000

optional parameter word:

#1 to 1
    #2 to 30
    #10 to 8(I've been moving this "baud" number around to see what happens)

For "loading" program into machine tool try PIP/READ then TThit write key)
    For "punching" program out of machine try PIP/PUNCH <file name>,TThit write key)

Let me know if this helps. I'm having trouble w/our local Okuma dist. trying to solve.

I'm curious if Gosiger as able to resolve your problem.
    Please let me know either way.

Good Luck,
    Duke

[email protected]

check your rs232 cable connections at both ends. You should find the terminal wiring connections in your manual.

I will. Thank you.

Brad,

do you have the special functions 2 manual of a OSP5020.
    I can make you a copy of the parameter setting for RS232 comm. for the OSP5020L/OSP500L-G.
    In my mind i think this is even working for the OSP5000.

Don't try to make a connection at 8bit this gives a lot of troubles,
    even programs bigger than 1kB can give you troubles.

Edwin.

Edwin,

Can you try sending info for the 5000 control?
    I'm still missing some characters(though not many).
    Not sure if it's a parameter bit issue or a baud rate issue when loading into machine tool. I'm trying to get additional info from some other sources and try process of elimination one at a time.

Duker

Don't know if this will be of any help, but...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for the "download".

I will review and try moving some values around.
    It should be of help since the control is the same series.
    Some of these older manuals are tough to get a hold of especially since we purchased the machine used baci in '99. Still running good. Had some rebuilt in 2000.

I'll get back to you early next week w/results.

Thank you,
    Duker

Thanks all for trying to help. Final solution at the end of this post.

To Edwin...the parameter settings for the 5000L-G and 5020L control are not the same as the 5000L green screen control. The 5000L only has one page of settings for parameter word, long word, and parameter bit.

Gosiger was able to get the machine to punch out a program but still could not send from PC to machine through RS232. They suggested a new communication board. Luckily, I have a spare LC-20 parts machine that has been scavenged over the years so I took the RS232 communication board out of it and installed on other machine...fixed my problem.

With the help of our DNC software vendor we were able to get the machine to READ a program through RS232 (using TT as Duke mentioned). BUT, like Gosiger cautioned, we were losing characters. We went all the way down to 300 on the baud rate with no luck and different handshake settings. It was pretty consistant with the character loss. The DNC vendor even put a few millisecond pause between each character for the transfer but it didn't help.

Here's the solution...a $1500 solution...works perfect.
    I purchased a BTR through Advanced Digital Research
    Very easy to install. Emulates the tape reader and works like RS232 at 9600 baud.

Oke,

finally found a solution.
    You are rigth the 5000L has only single pages for setting the parameters.
    I think i do have a programmers manual with the setting for the old one.
    If you still interested i will search make an other copy for you.

Greats.

Bradleyk,

Thx for the update.

I was going to try to do the same(change baud rates),
    but looks like that wouldn't work either.

Will look into the device.

I was told about the Greco box as a possibility but could never could get details whether it would solve our problem.
    Looks like yours worked.

Cheers,
    Duker

There was one major problem with transmitting and receiving to a LB-xx of the early 90's:
    1st : check the pins in your connector
    2nd: the OSP5000 didn't have a waiting time, so you have to transmit your program first then receive it on the machine with TT: or start receiving on your computer then transmit it from the machine to the computer otherwise you have a error message.

I worked a several years with this controller with succes and my own written comm.program with a setting of 7E1 at 9600 baud in combination with a BlackBox.

Thanks for the info. on the osp5000

After you hit the read and then write does your program number appear at the top of the screen----and then does nothing but just sit there
    If the number appears you have the $ and % signs right at the start of the program being uploaded but at the end you need to put it like this
    %
    %
    If you dont do the second one the control does not see the end of the program being uploaded
    Hope it helps