587,275 active members*
3,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > OT - Tried to buy USA craftsman wrenches and here's what happened

OT - Tried to buy USA craftsman wrenches and here's what happened

Saw a 50% off ad on the web for a set of craftsman combination wrenches and some reviewers got a USA made set
    and others were from china. I take a chance and go to the store and some individual wrenches were "forged in USA"
    but not the set that I wanted. Asked the associate if they had any sets made in the USA like the individual wrenches
    and he said he didn't think they were better than the china imports because they were "FORGERIES MADE IN THE
    USA OF A USA PRODUCT" - not the genuine article! holy catnip batman, I was stunned at what I was hearing! I started
    to give a basic description of what a metal forging was and the look of complete disinterest was amazing. Last one
    out turn off the lights ... nevermind, the lights are already off. Any comments?

You can't fix stupid and the best case outcome of trying is to get added to the list yourself. You should have offered him some change and told him to add it to his education fund. I doubt he would have gotten that on either.

Ben

LOL that's great! The first thing a 100 year old company does is sell forgeries in their retail outlets - then flaunt it by stanping the word "FORGED" on the handle!

Next thing you know, he'll sue McDonalds because their hamburgers don't have real ham....

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    LOL that's great! The first thing a 100 year old company does is sell forgeries in their retail outlets - then flaunt it by stanping the word "FORGED" on the handle!

Next thing you know, he'll sue McDonalds because their hamburgers don't have real ham....
    I laughed so hard seeing this post.

As for Sears the problem is common these days they hire sales people without a clue. It isn't just tools either try talking to somebody there about a TV or other technology item cluelessness ensues. I stay far away for Sears unless there is something specific I want. Even then I avoid conversations with the staff. Why ruin your day and lower your opinion of mankind even further.

Best one I heard for a while, thanks for sharing I guess there is truth in the saying that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Had a similar experience with some DIY store idiot and sawing some wood sheets up. "Can't do that, sir, it's not possible". I wanted him to do some cutouts but this parrot said they can only cut boards entirely. "I can't cut that, I can't see the blade when it is sawing. You don't know what you are talking about. This is a professional tool, I had to be trained for it.". I tried a few times to explain how to compensate for it, simple enough - tape measure and pencil. I had more luck teaching my dog the concept of not crapping on the floor. In the end I said forget it. Best part was seeing him talking to his colleagues and they are laughing, shaking their heads at me. Hahaha.

I went to a wood shop and needed some kiln dried boards cut to 4.718",(4.750-1/32"), did not expect perfection, but graduations of 1/16" can be split. Salesman told me a piece of wood would change its size in 10 minutes after cut and would not be in tolerance. Made them myself.

Sorry, this isn't the same thing. First off, you'd say 4-25/32" to a woodshop. Second, the salesman is 100% absolutely right. It doesn't matter if, how, and how long that wood was kiln dried; what matters is the relative humidity the wood was stored at. And if the wood is not cut and stored in the same environmental conditions it came from, it will move and change size. I'm not the biggest wood expert, but I am a cabinetmaker/woodworker/guitarmaker of 20 years.

In the carpentry world, we'd say 4-3/4" plus to denote a half-A-line between 3/4" and 13/16".