587,998 active members*
1,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Partner 4 Z axis issue

Hello,
    I am in the process of purchasing a Partner 4 with Centurion 4 Controller. After Gridding the machine any time i attempt to move the Z it throws an error code 44. Which in the manual says software limit over travel. Z axis command beyond the machine limit. First thing that comes to mind would be that the z axis is in contact with the limit switch, would this be correct. My next guess is maybe the parameters are messed up. If i regrid the machine and go to jog every once in a while the z will move a little then throw the error code. Could the problem be more serious than a stuck switch. Thanks

Turns out it was as simple as I thought. z soft limit was set to .1 instead of -5.0 causing all moves to throw and error. I have a new question, I hit the e stop on the x a couple times, apparently the limit switch trips at -31.998 not after the -32.000 soft limit, Can i jog off the limit some way or is the option only to unbolt the belt cover and manually rotate it off the switch?

Hold the reset button down while you manually move the machine with the handwheel
    (pulse generator). Make sure you move in the correct direction. I not sure what is happening on your X, but if it is occuring during the grid, you probably have a sticky
    limit switch. I clean mine periodically with contact cleaner, while the machine is turned off.
    If you are moving the machine after grid is complete and it's e-stopping, you are moving the wrong way.
    After my Centurion IV completes its grid by telling you so on the screen. I switch to MDI.
    type G92 Z0. Then I type G0 X-number Y- number to move the machine off of it's limit switches for X and Y.

I believe on your earlier question, the parameter was set correctly. After gridding the
    machine (when it tells you it is finished), You type in MDI mode G92 Z0. This tells the machine that this is machine Z zero and all tools are referenced from this point in Z for
    your TLO's (tool length offsets). This is the way my Centurion IV works.
    I believe the parameter you changed is the Z+ overtravel limit.

my two cents,
    Ben

Thanks for the reply, changing the parameter to what the manual said seemed to do the trick and no problems so far, I will keep in mind the limit switch for any issues down the road.