587,171 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

PCB milling tool

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to build a CNC for PCB milling. As of now, I have only a dremel 4000, which i'm planning to use for milling out copper traces.

I have read that dremel is really bad for this task, given the precision. (Proxxon is good, but out of my budget).

How about Bosh palm router like the GMR 1 or Colt (for guys who haven't heard GMR 1 its similar to colt but without the variable speed).

Can someone please let me know if colt ( or GMR1 ) is precise enough ?

I understand that there are a lot of other factors that influence precision , but atleast i can be precise in the selecting the tool, so that i can score some precision points here

srivatsa,

You are correct the dremel is not a good choice.

The colt and bosh units are working fairly well for people who are making thru hole designs.

Some of the smaller surface mount components require a bit more precision in the spindle than any of these units provide, so your results will depend on what components you are designing around.

Money spent on the spindle now will help to reduce frustration later.

Good luck with the machine build!
    Andrew Abken
    www.drewtronics.net - PCB Cutters

On my PCB machine, I use a spindle made by Paul Jones (CNC on a Budget : Inexpensive Technology and Engineering) and find it very adequate for that purpose. As a side effect, it is very quiet while operating. For etching bits, I use Drewtronics bits (DrewTronics) and again find they work very well.
    Usual disclaimer as I have no financial interest in these companies other than to give them some $$$$:})
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I use the Colt as a PCB milling spindle and it works fine for [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S43C_3eciE"]0806 parts[/ame]. But the Colt is around the same price as the Proxxon IB/E (I have that one too) so how much is a GMR?

Re: PCB milling tool

Thanks for those replies.

@Bubba : I checked out those sites there is a spindle on sale for 90$ . But I guess importing world screw the pricepoint.

@kn6za : I want to mill SMD , to try out milling SOIC components is as far I would go. Yeah , that's already too much expectation I guess.

@jay : I can buy a gmr around the same price as colt . Proxxon is double the price due to import duties and restrictions !!