588,551 active members*
5,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Question Peck Tapping (Rigid)

Anyone doing this on a HAAS? I haven't tried it, yet, but getting ready to. Do you just call up 2 tap cycles with different depths?

TYIA :cheers:

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Rekd,

Do this all the time. And yes just call up two cycles with different depths. Rigid tapping of course. Both form taps , (my preference) and regular taps.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool, thanks. I always use form unless the print says it's a no-no.

'Rekd teh Roll baby, roll!
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I've 'heard' Fadals and Fanucs can do it with 1 line of code, anyone know if HAAS can??

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

its just one line of code on our okuma
    g274 z-1. r.1 f(rpm divided by tpi)
    great cycle but watch the blind holes i think a
    floating tap holder and using just g74 would be
    better for these.

rob2424,
    What kind of okuma is that? Is that on a u100 controller

Scott
    the controller i think is a u10 on a es 2040 vmc
    nice machine
    the rigid tapping cycles are
    g274 for left hand tapping and g284 for right hand
    kinda neat to watch it tap 1/4-20 holes at 500rpm at 25ipm
    dont know what they would be for a haas probably
    the same as fanuc.

We just purchased a MCVAII. It's 80x60x54, 50 taper, 30 hp, and has hi square nc it's very big and very fast for such a large machine. Has a big price tag with it too!

its got the u100 control on it?

I forgot, hope I'm not in trouble.

Rekd,

I forgot to tell you that you need to Check parameter #57 "REPT RIG TAP" it should be set to 1 to peck tap. I think it is set to 1 as default.

You didn't come back on after trying to peck tap and cuss and scream that you were braking taps so I guess it was set to 1.

Sorry I neglected to state this earlier.

Peck tapping with a thread former? Why? Sounds silly to me!
    Regards, Ray
    ​"There is no such thing as a gun free zone."
    Ray Brandes, Ray-Vin.Com, PCB, FL 32408 USA

Originally posted by RBrandes
    Peck tapping with a thread former? Why? Sounds silly to me!
    Regards, Ray
    Ever done any machining? I have.

I've seen very little in my short career as a machinist that I would clasify as 'silly'. One of them being someone that obviously knows nothing about the current situation calling a technique silly.

Regards.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rekd, if you haven't observed plenty of "silly", lots of "stupid", and a good helping of "moronic" then your machining career has definitely been short. I'd call pecking with a thread former unusual though, as it's something I've never seen in over 20 years of running a shop. Can you enlighten us as to what situation does call for this approach?

I think you can set your Haas control up as a fanuc control. I have 2 haas HSRP1's and we use them as a fanuc controller.

Originally posted by metlmunchr
    Rekd, if you haven't observed plenty of "silly", lots of "stupid", and a good helping of "moronic" then your machining career has definitely been short. I'd call pecking with a thread former unusual though, as it's something I've never seen in over 20 years of running a shop. Can you enlighten us as to what situation does call for this approach?
    No, Cliff; I generally work with professionals. Have been since about '84.

"Silly" is not something that generally goes on where I work. Stupid and moronic I've seen my share of, but silly just doesn't have a place in a machine shop.

sil·ly

adj. sil·li·er, sil·li·est

1. Exhibiting a lack of wisdom or good sense; foolish. See Synonyms at foolish.
    2. Lacking seriousness or responsibleness; frivolous: indulged in silly word play; silly pet names for each other.
    3. Semiconscious; dazed: knocked silly by the impact.
    Since you're an engineer and a lawyer, I'll let you try to come up with some scenerios where you might wish to peck tap with form threads.

If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll throw some light your way.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Hmmmmm.......Don't know quite what my education or work background has to do with the question, but since it's been asked twice now, once by me and once by Ray, can we assume your smart aleck remarks to both of us means you don't know? As before, I'd still like to know, and I have no problem admitting I can't figure out a place where you'd use it.

I can imagine a situation in tough or gummy materials where it may improve the threads if the cold forming tap gets an extra shot of lubricant applied before the second pass. It may assist it either going in easier, or coming out easier.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Mostly the latter, dung; coming out of gummy, and sometimes harder material depending on the setup, will tend to bind around the tap. Instead of paying a guy to stand there and give a hand lube to each part, I wanted to try peck tapping.

Running a .06-80 tap more than 10 or so dia's deep is a pita, and peck tapping freed the machinist for 3 minutes every 1/2 hr. Made cents to give it a shot, don't you think?
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Originally posted by metlmunchr
    Hmmmmm.......Don't know quite what my education or work background has to do with the question, but since it's been asked twice now, once by me and once by Ray, can we assume your smart aleck remarks to both of us means you don't know? As before, I'd still like to know, and I have no problem admitting I can't figure out a place where you'd use it.
    I meant no disrespect to you Cliff or Ray. I just figured after reading most of your posts, with your education and 20 years experience, (and the fact that you called it 'unusual' instead of 'silly'), that you might be able to come up with a scenario that might require peck tapping. So I challenged you. I'm sorry if it seemed rude or smart alecky. (And I meant to click the instead of the , meh bad.)

I've had to do some pretty stupid things to get stuff to work, and to call a potential solution to a problem that has not been tried 'silly' seemed like a somewhat odd request for the application I was using. And wouldn't you assume that I actually had a specific application for this, considering I started the thread and asked the question?
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

That makes sense. Kinda trying to avoid that magic squeak that always happens right before the bang when one locks up. Never thought about that since I've never been brave enough to try a former that didn't have either lobes or grooves for the lube.

Page 1 of 3 123