588,169 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Pete's Cincinatti arrow 500 Adventure
Page 4 of 56 234561454

Richard....

Hehe yeah man I hear ya. Been there and done that. Works a treat. Only thing is the largest machine I ever did that with was a 4500 lb lathe. This machine weighs around 7000 pounds and is much taller. Not saying I wont do it that way but not saying I will either. I actually have a bunch of black iron pipe still sitting here I used for the lathe move awhile back. Really thinking it will just be gingerly setting the machine inside the garage door, jacking it up onto these steel skids and then using the forktruck to push it back against the rear of the shop with maybe two feet to spare or so.... Hope you are doing well man, hows that sweet toolchanger working? I finally got my toolchanger here just had to buy the whole machine with it hehee....peace

Pete

But that only works, if the machine have a straight bottom. But some machines haven't, they have overhanging feets. I hope you have luck. And this method is only good if you move the machine in Direction of the Y-Axis, If you want push it in X, than you got a problem. As well as you want tu turn it a bit. If you have the pipes, get them, but I recommend massive bars.

okay guys some more baby ateps.....

Been working on the shop today...my daughter came over and helped me with it and we verified that she had the right gooseneck trailer setup for my friends trailer. We carefully removed the overhead on one of my garage doors and framed up a neat removable panel that will make getting tallish machinea including my new Arrow 500 thru the door a piece of cake. We managed to get a little over 100 inches at the threshold of the door and then of course once inside it is inside you're back up to over 9 1/2 feet high. So now all that is necessary to remove the machine from the building is to unscrew about ten lag bolts and removing the vinyl siding and unbolt the garage door and you are in. Maybe an hours work or two at most. So the plan is now to pickup my friends heavy equipment trailer on Tuesday night and move the machine Wednesday morning. Everything is in place and ready to go. Monday I will be going over to lock down the millhead and block the tables movement and basically prepare the machine and its area for pickup. Getting excited about finally getting this bad boy in my shop. Already have some work lined up for it. Still gotta run the heavier power lines for it but that will be pretty easy because I have already run some other lines to tge same place. Anyways wish me luck with the move guys.....its gonna be interesting.....peace

Pete

Air compressor? Hold down set? Coolant, & tool holders? not raining on the parade but lots more to do after its in place. I know you are aware of these things just a friendy reminder.
    scott

slowlearner

Hehehe yeah man I am aware of all that stuff.... as far as the compressor goes I am gonna have to use my shops large vertical with a good dryer as a screw type is not in the cards right now but someday soon hopefully. Have a decent set of holddowns and gonna be buying a kurt or glacern or two. That's why I am moving it myself because I am trying to save every penny for all the ancillaries. This stuff is not cheap and I need to do this as inexpensively as possible. The machine move is just the next step along my primrose path here. Hoping everything will pan out and I can get this beast running soon. The garage door mods are an effort to allow me to do this stuff easier in the future. Still a long way to go here that is for sure but one careful step at a time my friend...one very cautious careful step at a time....hehehe peace

Pete

If you want a screwcomp, you need a large tank as well, cos these parts don't like it to switch on and off. You shouldn't switch more than 4 times in an hour.

Well...

While I want a screwcomp it is just not in the cards right now so that is a non-issue. I am hoping my current compressor will keep up with the machine but I am not sure what the air consumption is really. Just trying to get my shop off the ground here right now. Machine SHOULD be here wednesday and I will be able to really start tinkering with it. Hoping things go smoothly after that happens. Peace

Pete

My experience with other machines is, you will need 100ltrs, 4cuft /min. Thats only the toolchanger, who wants so many air. If you work a long time with 1 tool then you need nothing. But if you have linear scales, then yo uneed more, cos the cases were blown up with air, to prevent chips coming into. Anyway, it were good if you can get a large tank for less money, buy it. And think about the room it needs.

Okay.....

If that is correct I should be fine. My compressor supposedly puts out 13.5 scmf and 90 PSI and charges to 135 PSI. Just gotta get a decent drier for it I guess now.

Had a setback. Got a call from the two forklift companies I had contacted and neither one have a machine available in that size for Wednesday. Supposed to be hearing back from another two companies today as well as a milright rigger local to me about doing the whole thing. I am afraid that will be pretty pricey but ya never know. Still trying to get the damn machine moved over here and already got the shop ready for it. Peace

Pete

Maybe someone is trying to tell you to let the pros do the move... I know it isn't cheap, but they know how to deal with 7,000 lb machines and they have insurance if something goes wrong. I think this is one place where DIY is a false economy.

Be safe.

bob

It may be possible for a Lull to offload the truck and place in your garage.
    If I were you I would add a reserve tank to your air supply. I had problems
    with the tool changer working properly on one machine when my guys are running die grinders. I fixed it by adding a cheap 5 gal airtank at the machine's air inlet. This was years ago but the concept hasnt changed and it does help.

Slowlearner

Hey man that is a damn good idea. Actually I have two of those small maybe ten gallon portable air tanks here I was about to give away cheap. I maybe need to keep one and institute it on the machine install I guess. Makes sense anyways. Thanks for the tip. Also what the hell is a LULL? Peace

Pete

This
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail1.jpg  
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Yeah I know RIGHT!!

Actually I had considered one of those but when I called about it and told them what I was wanting to do with it they did not recommend it. They said that it is kind of a crude movement on those machines compared to a warehouse style forklift. In other words it is harder to be real precise with it than on the other style. It would certainly lift the weight but it is not apparently recommended for it. Sure would be nice to be able to telescope that machine into the shop tho.

Funny thing I had a fellow with a larger bobcat machine respond to a craigslist ad I posted about help moving the machine to my shop. He said he thought the bobcat would move it okay but I told him I was not so sure. Knowing how bouncy those things are whenever I have driven them I could imagine my machine bouncing up and down as we drove it into the garage. Bouncing and CNC machines are not a good combination....hehehe

Just heard from a local forklift company who said they had a 10k lb lift with an 85 inch mast height and everything sounded great until they started telling me how much it costs to rent and more specifically move it. I told him I would be willing to pay $5-600.00 for the rental and move but he was more like $800.00. I told him I can get it professionally moved over here for around $1300.00 but he did not seem to care. He did say he would check into their scheduling to see if he could knock out a couple moves locally with one driver saving me some cash.... Hopefully he will call me back today.

Gonna be going over to the machine today and try to lower that millhead down onto a large wood block without power.... any suggestions or ideas about how to do this would be great. I am gonna just try to crank down the ballscrew right now but I think there is a brake on it. Dunno exactly. Peace

Pete

Thanks Fannblade for the pic. Fab shops and commercial roofers use these.
    I know my neighbors will pickup 10K lbs. Just a thought anyway.

They are right Pete
    They are very hard to make controlled movements since they articulate in the middle and when extending or retracting the boom it raises and lowers load respectively. Fork lift still route you should look @.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

And whats with a truck with a 10 ton or so crane on it. These parts are very good for these, but you need dollies to move the machine in your room and to the place you want.

okay guys....

I managed to speak with the pro rigger who actually moved this machine to its current position. He told me he would not even bother with a forklift to move it. Instead he told me he would move it with machine skates and a rollback wrecker. So I called about both and did a little research and this really seems like the way to go here. I am now planning to rent both items and move the machine over here on Tuesday. I know it is taking awhile to get it moved but I am short of cash with all the other stuff I need to buy for the machine so I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible while maintaining safety. I feel like this will be my safest bet and it is also much cheaper then renting the heavy forklift necessary. Also it will make it possible to put the machine exactly where I want it in my shop without having to deal with the forklift taking up space..... besides if a pro rigger recommends it this way who am I to argue right...peace

Pete

Oh, I don't know those vehicles, but if they work like I suspected they are not suitable for your project. I think you can rollback the load area until it has an angle of some 15°. And then you move your whatever with a winch on it. After that you pull the loadarea back to the drivers cabin. Think about, you have only an area of your machine feet from less than 2'W* 8'D. And then you haven't a fixed chassis, only the dollies, they take place only through the weight of your machine and eventually a thin anti slip pad.

I thought of these vehicles, but I don't know if you have these in America.
    http://www.fahrzeugbau-lotz.de/index...ype=orig&id=41

Quote Originally Posted by uli12us View Post
    Oh, I don't know those vehicles, but if they work like I suspected they are not suitable for your project. I think you can rollback the load area until it has an angle of some 15°. And then you move your whatever with a winch on it. After that you pull the loadarea back to the drivers cabin. Think about, you have only an area of your machine feet from less than 2'W* 8'D. And then you haven't a fixed chassis, only the dollies, they take place only through the weight of your machine and eventually a thin anti slip pad.

I thought of these vehicles, but I don't know if you have these in America.
    http://www.fahrzeugbau-lotz.de/index...ype=orig&id=41
    A Rollback will work just fine for this. I've used one to move a 3-Phase generator on skids without issue. On allot of them, not only do they use the winch, but, the bed can actually move forwards and backwards by a foot or two as well as angle down to provide a ramp. I think the dollies will only be needed to transfer the machine from his driveway into his shop after the unloading.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Page 4 of 56 234561454