587,762 active members*
3,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PhotoVCarve!

Page 6 of 7 4567
    Tony Mac,

(1)
    Actually, your example is the opposite of what I need, I need the raised surface to have texture (not the pocket), I just don't want to machine the scrap material outside of the tabs (with the texture). Compare my image of the "Open sign" to yours, and you will see what I'm referring to.

(2)
    As far as the bar image, that was just an example of what I would like to do, I don't want the wildlife carved, what I plan on doing is taking a family portrait and carving it on a cnc the portrait will be a Bitmap image (Has to be my own image), that I will need to convert to g-code. The link to the bar was just a referance on the size/style, depth of cuts, etc.

So my question is, does the texturing feature exist in "PhotoVCarve"?

Sorry, for the confusion.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Sorry about the confusion.

1. Yes, to texture the raised regions just select the 2 outer ovals + the Open text and the toolpath will be calculated inside these regions. So you don't waste time cutting the unwanted outer area.

See the picture below.

2. The Texturing is a strategy in VCarve Pro and not available in PhotoVCarve

However, the PhotoVCarve files can be imported into VCarve Pro where Text, Frames, Borders etc. can be drawn or imported. The Textures can then be machined around the PhotoVCarve designs.

The picture below shows a PhotoVCarve design imported into VCarve Pro with a simple border draw and textured. Not the most exciting design but shows the technique of being able to combine the files together and preview the results before machining.

I hope this helps,

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Texture_3.jpg   Texture_4.jpg  

1. Yes, to texture the raised regions just select the 2 outer ovals + the Open text and the toolpath will be calculated inside these regions. So you don't waste time cutting the unwanted outer area.
    Thanks Tony,

Thats just what I need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think you might ever add the texturing to "PhotoVCarve" in the near future?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

It's very unlikely that texturing will be added to PhotoVCarve because
    the vector drawing and editing tools would also be needed, making the
    interface requirements substantially different / more complicated.

For information - We are considering increasing the price of PhotoVCarve
    as the $149 was an introductory price when the software was released
    back in January.

Tony

Hi Jerry,

Not sure if you spotted my recent post showing another imaginative use of the 3D Texturing in VCarve Pro.

See > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=124

Tony

Tony,

That is very cool! I like that rustic look. I think a glass top would go good with what they already have.

Do you know how long it took to cut the desk?

Is that plywood, they have used for the desk?

I've been trying to think of a way to use texturing in a family portrait, with a very light touch of texturing to simulate a chisel.

Jerry

I just found this link, over at Geralds site, it has a bunch of the texturing. I gotta get my cnc table together, so I can try this!

http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/32/690.html

Jerry

Testing a Roland EGX-20 Engraver

I've been editing a postprocessor for a Roland EGX-20 engraving machine
    and ran this PhotoVCarve design to check that it all worked correctly.

The toolpaths for the photograph were calculated using PhotoVCarve
    then imported into VCarve Pro where the text was added and engraved.

The material is 200mm x 150mm (8" x 6") ColourRout (Veneered MDF)
    Cutter was a 60 degree 0.2mm (0.008") flat tip
    Carving Max Depth = 0.7mm
    Stepover = 110%

It took 1 hour 30 mins to engrave and could certainly have been run faster.

Tony

Very Impressive Tony. I will attempt a similar plaque for my 6 week old baby girl.
    What was the actual feed rate?

Jason

Very, Very nice work.

Hi Jason,

The toolpath was calculated with a feedrate of 10mm / sec (around 3/8ths / sec) but the machine has a manual override which was set at around 50%, so I'm not totally sure what the feedrate was.

Tip - I'm finding that a 60 degree cutter seems to be the best for this type of work as it allows a deeper groove to be cut. A 90 degree cutter cuts shallower for the same groove width, which is ok on very flat materials but not so good for wood.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    Hi Jason,

The toolpath was calculated with a feedrate of 10mm / sec (around 3/8ths / sec) but the machine has a manual override which was set at around 50%, so I'm not totally sure what the feedrate was.

Tip - I'm finding that a 60 degree cutter seems to be the best for this type of work as it allows a deeper groove to be cut. A 90 degree cutter cuts shallower for the same groove width, which is ok on very flat materials but not so good for wood.

Tony
    Hi Tony.

I visited your site a couple of times after reading about it here. I've been building a 4 axis cnc solsylvia kit with the 4 axis hobbycnc package and was looking for software. I'm interested in your vcarve and photovcarve, but I'm a little..put off...by the price (over $700 Canadian). Why is it so expensive? Seems to me you could sell 4 times the amount if it was less expensive (this is just a hobby for me after all), and your overhead must be less since you don't actually provide me with a disc. I have to download the files. What happens if something happens in the download process. Do I have to re-buy it?.. Please don't take this as an insult though. The software looks good, I'm just wondering if there's a less expensive version of this.

Tercero

Tercero,

For the price VCarve Pro is the best software you can possibly purchase by a long way. I paid $1000.00 BDS for the software and have not regretted it since. It took me a few months but I put aside a set amount until I had enough to buy the software.

Jason

Hi Tercero,

We do appreciate that the software might appear expensive to some of the hobby users, but as far as we know you would have to pay much more for other products offering the same level of functionality. Setting a price that maximises the sales opportunities is very difficult and we really believe we have set a new price point for this level of functionality.

As for shipping CD's, instant downloads are the most efficient way of providing customers with the most up to date versions of the software, without having to try and ship CD's and manuals to the far corners of the world.

Plus the customer gets to use the software within minutes of making the payment, which really is a BIG Plus for most people.

The software is regularly updated and customers get all updates Free for a year after they purchase. Shipping new CD's for every release would be invariably result in us having to charge more for shipping.

We guarantee to make the software available to customers. So if you have a problem with the download failing or your PC crashing, simply contact Vectric and we will make a new download link available.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Tony

Vcarve priced fairly

[QUOTE=tercero;206099]

" I'm interested in your vcarve and photovcarve, but I'm a little..put off...by the price (over $700 Canadian). Why is it so expensive? Seems to me you could sell 4 times the amount if it was less expensive (this is just a hobby for me after all), "

To gain a level of reference here it might help if you looked around for other sign carving and decorative cutting software.

At one end of the spectrum you have ArtCAM priced at $7500 per set (no, that's not a typo)

There are other less feature rich offerings or ones that do some V Carving

You can look at Vcarvz for $395.oo but you will have to still add a 3D CAM with post processor to use it and it won't do the peck-engraving.

There is Rhino3D at about $895 and you need a 3D CAM like MeshCAM (more $$)

In the Sign industry there are packages like EnRoute Pro for $5995.00 for the 3D stuff or EnRoute Basic for $2495.00.

No, I think the boyz at Vetrix have done a good job of writing a good program and finding a price structure that does not price it out of reach for the small shops or serious hobby guys.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Hi Tercero,

We do appreciate that the software might appear expensive to some of the hobby users, but as far as we know you would have to pay much more for other products offering the same level of functionality. Setting a price that maximises the sales opportunities is very difficult and we really believe we have set a new price point for this level of functionality.

As for shipping CD's, instant downloads are the most efficient way of providing customers with the most up to date versions of the software, without having to try and ship CD's and manuals to the far corners of the world.

Plus the customer gets to use the software within minutes of making the payment, which really is a BIG Plus for most people.

The software is regularly updated and customers get all updates Free for a year after they purchase. Shipping new CD's for every release would be invariably result in us having to charge more for shipping.

We guarantee to make the software available to customers. So if you have a problem with the download failing or your PC crashing, simply contact Vectric and we will make a new download link available.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I like what it can do, but I'll have to wait to purchase this. Again, I'm just doing this as a hobby.

Regards,

Tercero

Something that Tony Mac did not mention, but applies to software in general is that although the consumer sees it as just a download or a CD, there are hundreds to thousands of "manhours" dedicated to developing a sound piece of software. Programmers, graphic artists, tech support, etc. need to eat (earn a paycheck); it's more of a service industry in that respect.

With a niche market such as hobby CNC, you're not going to have as many potential customers compared to the general public who use Word, Excel, and other general apps. Yet, the development costs do not change. And, a company who puts out a good application also has to take in account lost sales due to pirating. All those "Aww, they won't care if I install Bubba's copy" folks add up fast. But, the paychecks still have to be written out to the company employees.

Hope it helps explain a bit re: the higher costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsdawn View Post
    Something that Tony Mac did not mention, but applies to software in general is that although the consumer sees it as just a download or a CD, there are hundreds to thousands of "manhours" dedicated to developing a sound piece of software. Programmers, graphic artists, tech support, etc. need to eat (earn a paycheck); it's more of a service industry in that respect.

With a niche market such as hobby CNC, you're not going to have as many potential customers compared to the general public who use Word, Excel, and other general apps. Yet, the development costs do not change. And, a company who puts out a good application also has to take in account lost sales due to pirating. All those "Aww, they won't care if I install Bubba's copy" folks add up fast. But, the paychecks still have to be written out to the company employees.

Hope it helps explain a bit re: the higher costs.

Thanks for the reply. I understand you're just defending what you believe in. I, however believe that it's a bit over priced, but I respect your opinion.

Thanks,

Tercero.

Tercero,

I guess the question to ask yourself is - Do you have a requirement for the tools in VCarve Pro - vcarving, engraving, pocketing, cut-outs with tabs, drilling, 3D texturing, bevel edge machining, robust import and export filters, realistic 3D preview with cutter animation, drawing and layout tools, estimated machining times + and very, very important stable and very easy to use with reliable drivers?

If the answer is yes then we are confident that the software will pay for itself very quickly and allow you to make very rewarding and interesting projects with your CNC machine. If the answer is no and you aren't looking for new opportunities or ways to use your CNC machine then you should stick with the free or lower costs products.

Thank you for the feedback,

Tony

Tercero,

I guess the question to ask yourself is - Do you have a requirement for the tools in VCarve Pro - vcarving, engraving, pocketing, cut-outs with tabs, drilling, 3D texturing, bevel edge machining, robust import and export filters, realistic 3D preview with cutter animation, drawing and layout tools, estimated machining times + and very, very important stable and very easy to use with reliable drivers?

If the answer is yes then we are confident that the software will pay for itself very quickly and allow you to make very rewarding and interesting projects with your CNC machine. If the answer is no and you aren't looking for new opportunities or ways to use your CNC machine then you should stick with the free or lower costs products.

Thank you for the feedback,

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I understand what you're trying to say. I'm just saying that if I wanted to pay for all that you've described, I'd probably be using this for a full time business, and I'd probably invest in ArtCam.
    Vectric seems to be aimed more at the Hobby user. And as a hobby user, I can't justify spending that much on software, after spending X amount on building a cnc router.
    I'm not arguing the point that it's not a great package. Don't get me wrong. I think it's very robust (from what I've seen in the forums, posts pics, etc), but I really believe if you wanted to hit your target user and up your sales, you'd half the price.
    I don't know. It worked for me, but everyones business model is different.

Thanks again,

Luck,

Tercero

Page 6 of 7 4567