588,209 active members*
4,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > PLanetCNC - fixed tool measurement with only one tool

PLanetCNC - fixed tool measurement with only one tool

Hello,

as I do not have a ATC and all Data comes from FreeCAD CAM, I do not need to handle tools twice in PlanetCNC.
    BUT: I need to know the exact hight.

So, as default, PLanetCNC comes with tool number 0 as default where no tool is called.
    is it possible, to only mount a new tool, move to tool lenth measurement and set the value which return at the workzone-Z axis?

I get really confused as it workes, then it wont work, and as I use 1/8" mill I am not able to replace it every time on same position.

WOuld be great if anybody can help me with a solutions so that I can only swap tools, measure new hight, set it to z and go on

Kind regards
    Tom

Re: PLanetCNC - fixed tool measurement with only one tool

It is possible if you select tool no.1 than measure that tool if all your g-code have that tool no. with offset in it. (T01 ... G43 H01)
    Then when you change the tool just measure the tool.
    Replacing the tool in same position is one thing, but measuring the tool need to be at the location of fixed sensor.

Thank you for your reply.

You mean, I have to use an existing tool? Even if there is no data in it?

I have place the sensor and it works great.

But, as I can't replace the small tools at same position, its hard. So you mean I have to do this just for the first time?

Actually, I thought it should be enought, getting to home position on startup, then measure the tool (M6 T1) so that it get the height of the sensor as my workzone z-value, is that correct?

Kind regards,
    Tom

In Settings->Program Options->Offsets you have the sensor position on your machine.
    In Settings->Program Options->Tool Change->Tool Offset I have To Tool Table and From Tool Table checked.
    Tool 0 need to be any tool not to long, not to short that need to be first measured.
    Then you can use M6 T1 to measure your tool, that not define your work Z position, only the tool offset (aka length), witch is write in tool table when you measure that tool no.
    Your work position or surface of material need to be measure with Work Position/Measure Height with movable sensor, after you measure the tool, after that every time you change a tool you only need to measure that tool, the work position remain the same.
    Sounds a little bit complicated, but is not.
    Have you read this?
    https://planet-cnc.com/measure-tool-...-tng-software/

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom24 View Post
    But, as I can't replace the small tools at same position, its hard.
    You can define your tool change position wherever you want on your machine if you enable Tool Change check Position and write your preferred position, check if you like message to display a message with tool number you need to replace and check pause to manually change the tool at that position.
    The machine will go to that position for tool change, and after you change the tool manually, press pause to disengage and the machine will go to tool sensor and measure the tool length, then return to your part position.

Hello adidoro,

so at least, sorry for my late reply and thank you for your detailed help.
    After some stressful time, I can return back to you with success.
    Based on your instruction, I was able to handle offset, and all that stuff so thtat it work now correct!!!

Thank you very much and have a nice time!!

Tom