587,787 active members*
2,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: plasma kerf

plasma kerf

Hi I am looking into buying a cnc plasma machine, for example the plasma cam machine that is advertisedon the front page of this forum. I have been trying to figure out what width one of these machine cuts. I know it will vary depending on a lot of diffrent things, but just in general what kind of kerf am I looking at for some 1/8", 1/16", and 1/4" aluminum and brass stock.

The kerf width is not dependant on the table, it is dependant on the plasma itself, as well as the consumables used.
    I have had several different plasmas, each one different than the one before.
    My current Thermal Dynamics takes out about .05, my old Hypertherm 600 cut out about .06-.07. My Miller 625 had about .04, and all of these were on 3/16 steel.
    Don't know too much about aluminum or brass, though I can't see them being too different.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

thankyou thats what i was looking for, just a general idea. I have run a lot wire edms, but it is not really plausable to have one at home so I am looking into this. What does the cut look like I'm sure it varies too, but is it generally pretty smooth. Is it closer to a bandsaw, waterjet, or milled.

This is 1/2" mild steel. Using a Thermal Dynamics 151, with a 80-100A tip.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
    Hi I am looking into buying a cnc plasma machine, for example the plasma cam machine that is advertisedon the front page of this forum.
    Whewww......do a LOT more research and ask a LOT more questions before you write that check!

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

thats what I'm doing. I have ran a lot of varies cnc, but now I want something I can do some home projects on. I always seem to make cool stuff on the wire edm at work so I was wondering if this could replacate the process, maybe without the acuracy. Scracth, if you slow down the feed will you get a smoother cut? or does it not work like that.

If you slow down the feed you will probably get more bevel.

There are so many variables it's hard to answer your question exactly. Plasmas are widely varied as massajames described. The pic posted by Scratch is fairly common appearance, to better than many I have seen, for standard plasma. A hi-definition torch may give you better results with most any plasma machine but the hi-def torch is quite pricy. If thicker material & of course steel only ox/fuel is hard to beat for a smooth (very saw like) straight cut.

If you are needing EDM precision cuts then EDM, water jet or laser is most likely what it will take.

Below is a couple ox/fuel cut parts. the triangle is 1" thick & the disk is 5/8" (center hole in disk is drilled) neither part has been ground. you can see a slight amount of dross on the 1" triangle gusset. but if you need to cut Alum. & brass oxy is out of the question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torch cuts 002.jpg  
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    Below is a couple ox/fuel cut parts. the triangle is 1" thick & the disk is 5/8" (center hole in disk is drilled) neither part has been ground. you can see a slight amount of dross on the 1" triangle gusset. but if you need to cut Alum. & brass oxy is out of the question.
    Spend around $40G's on a plasma and you get an even better cut!

Plasma is a wonderfull tool if used right by the right person you can do some very nice quality and pretty precise work.