587,840 active members*
3,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma Water Treatments

Looking for a safe product to use in a plasma water table to control rust, corrosion, algae and bacteria in an educational shop setting. The product must be safe for high school students to be able to be around the operation of the torch and easy to dispose of at the end of the school year. The product also need to be economically friendly to the wallet.

Re: Plasma Water Treatments

I use this formula which I found here on the zone.

Basically, it is 1/4 LB of sodium nitrite (NOT NITRATE) and a tsp of Physan 20 for each 75 gal of water ((scale it up or down for the amount of water in your table). I've been using it for several years and not a bit of rust anywhere. The only place I found the sodium nitrite was on ebay. The physan 20 can be picked up at a garden center. Each ingredient is safe but I can't vouch for what happens to the quench under a plasma stream.My table also has downdraft system so any evaporation is exhausted out of the area.

My table (2' x 4') holds 11 gal of water and we run 3-4 hours per day. I have to replace 2 - 3 gal per week and replace the nitrite and Physan once a month. The nitrite and physan costs about $15 so it would meet your requirements.

Willy

Re: Plasma Water Treatments

There is a product called GreenCut . GreenCut Plasma Water Table Fluid for CNC Plasma Cutting It is expensive but it works well and it is suppose to be safe to handle and it is also safe when it vaporizes. We came across this product a couple years ago when we started to question what we were breathing with the typical water treatment products.