587,370 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Please help - Advice for evaluating a used Bridgeport Mill to buy

Question Please help - Advice for evaluating a used Bridgeport Mill to buy

Hi Guys,

My company does light prototyping in aluminum, plastics, and some stainless and I want to start doing more of the simple stuff in-house. I was initially considering a Grizzley or Shop Fox machine (at about $3k delivered) but now I am thinking of getting a used Bridgeport or other heavier-duty machine.

I found one Bridgeport machine locally that I can probably get for about $1200. The only thing the guy knew was that he acquired it several years ago, has rarely used it and it is now just taking up space in his shop (aluminum extrusion fabrication). He says it is "in good condition, no problems" and invited me to come look at it and do whatever evaluation I wanted to do on it.

What measurements/evaluations can I do on the machine to see if it still has some life in it? Are there any Bridgeports that are known 'duds' or models to avoid? I don't mind spending a little money (eg $500 or $1,000) to have maintenance/service done to bring it back to factory specs, but I don't want to get into a $3k rebuild on a tired old anchor. I know very little about this, so any help is appreciated!!

worth reading

jkujawa, go to this url as this site has a lot of good info by Meridian Machinery that is worth reading.

http://www.mermac.com/freemill2.html

Thanks!

Thanks very much. I will read through it!