588,117 active members*
4,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Post processor missing tool number and feed rates

Question Post processor missing tool number and feed rates

I'm hoping someone can guide me towards a better understanding of post processor files.

I'm new to madCAM and trying to generate some g-code files for my small mill.

The tool paths look great and simulate correctly, but the g-code files are missing tool number and feed rates no matter which post processor file I try.

I have the feed rates and tool number set in the tool chooser in madCAM so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Leo

Re: Post processor missing tool number and feed rates

I have NO experience with madcam, rhino plug in? Get on the phone with them, it's a matter of "tweaking" the post, you will weed through automated phone menu's, secretary's, the hold times will be frustrating. Stand in! The answer is there, somewhere.

luck

I'm starting to suspect that the problem may be caused by my created cutter not passing the tool number and feed rate on to the post processor properly.

I just tried generating a toolpath on a completely different model, using one of the cutters that comes with madCAM and the resulting g-code has all the tool numbers and feed rates in it.

Is there a character limit to the names of my created cutters?

Perhaps I should be saving my created cutters in my user directory instead of trying to add them to madCAM's built in list of cutters?

absolutely!
    Your on to something. Here is where it starts to make sense. The post MUST be tweaked. Do not give up now, so close...

been there many times, each machine depending on setup, parameters, in place macro's, will have it's own tweaks related to the post (little thing here little thing there).

sorry i'm so vague

GET IN THERE!

Do it! No way around it. Only YOU will know in the end. Save the crap till it hurts. Mistake's will be made. To this day i am altering post output. It's never ending, accept this and you will be happier. My personal advice.

Hi Leo,

Which version of madCAM are you using? The problem you described was easy to replicate in older versions if your tool was not in the default tool library. When madCAM posts it refers back to the tool specifications, and if it can't find it, the feed rate and tool number would be blank. In version 5, that problem is non-existent IF you have your tools, machines and posts configured in the options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	options.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	268682

This is an important step to configuring madCAM for your use.

Dan

p.s. I just re-read your 2nd post. Did you save the cutter after you defined it?

Name:	save tool.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	268684
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Oh, someone is asking questions on a pirate copy?..

Don't you think if someone was gonna use pirated software, they'ld get something a little better?

That's an odd comment. In fact, pirating madCAM has become an issue, and starting with the service release that just came out a couple of days ago, madCAM now has to be validated to run for new installations.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    Don't you think if someone was gonna use pirated software, they'ld get something a little better?
    Give me an example.
    And yes, MadCAM has become heavily pirated. As long as Mr Corvus can't argue why he is using a several years old version I will stand uncorrected.

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    Give me an example.
    As long as Mr Corvus can't argue why he is using a several years old version I will stand uncorrected.
    Just because he's using an old version don't accuse him of theft. I also use MadCam 4.3 and the reason is because the upgrade to v5 costs $300 and requires a $500 upgrade to rhino5 as well. Hard to swallow.

By the way, are you still using Windows 7? Office 2012? Mach3?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Hi Leo,

Which version of madCAM are you using? The problem you described was easy to replicate in older versions if your tool was not in the default tool library. When madCAM posts it refers back to the tool specifications, and if it can't find it, the feed rate and tool number would be blank. In version 5, that problem is non-existent IF you have your tools, machines and posts configured in the options.

Name:	options.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	268682

This is an important step to configuring madCAM for your use.

Dan

p.s. I just re-read your 2nd post. Did you save the cutter after you defined it?

Name:	save tool.png 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	268684
    Hi Dan, thanks very much for this post. I was able to solve the problem myself by creating a new cutter folder in my Users/Leo/AppData... directory.

Although I am using the current Feb. 20th release of MadCAM 5 (I bought the 4 axis licence) my initial attempt to create a sub-folder in the built-in cutter folders located in ProgramData/5XCNC/madCAM/5.0/Cutters/Cutters_Inch exhibited the strange behaviour which I explained in my initial post and did not work properly. I did indeed save my custom cutters in that folder but their tool numbers and feed rates were not being read when the post processing was done.

Anyway my problem is solved and my understanding of madCAM and windows file structures & permissions is a little better than before.

I should also say that I'm _really_ loving madCAM! It's so nice to stay within Rhino all the way through the CAD _and_ CAM processes. For a couple of years before I switched to madCAM I was using SprutCAM and I certainly don't miss the constant import/export cycle between Rhino and SprutCAM.

Thanks again for the excellent support.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

Although I am using the current Feb. 20th release of MadCAM 5 (I bought the 4 axis licence) my initial attempt to create a sub-folder...
    Finally, I stand corrected.

Hi Leo,

I'm glad you got this working. I agree, it's great to be able to do it all in Rhino and not have to deal with export/import issues. If you have any other issues don't hesitate to post them here. We'll do our best to find an answer.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Hi Leo,

I'm glad you got this working. I agree, it's great to be able to do it all in Rhino and not have to deal with export/import issues. If you have any other issues don't hesitate to post them here. We'll do our best to find an answer.

Dan
    Dan
    While I am grateful for your help, if it is acceptable to you and to the madCAM company that your community moderator can falsely accuse paying customers of the crime of piracy, and then not apologize when they are corrected, then I'm sure you can understand why I will be reluctant to ask for further help here.

svenakela
    I am a paying madCAM customer and I was directed from the madCAM website to ask for help here. You accused me of the criminal act of piracy based on your own incorrect assumption and your willingness to presume that I am guilty until proven innocent. If you have any sense of justice you will apologize for your accusation. I sincerely hope that you are never on the receiving end of such an accusation. I share your disgust at those who would steel the very hard work that software developers do.

Quote Originally Posted by dwneumann View Post
    I also use MadCam 4.3 and the reason is because the upgrade to v5 costs $300 and requires a $500 upgrade to rhino5 as well. Hard to swallow.
    You are doing yourself a disfavor by not upgrading. Both madCAM and Rhino have evolved by leaps and bounds from the version you are using. Just sayin'...

Dan
    While I am grateful for your help, if it is acceptable to you and to the madCAM company that your community moderator can falsely accuse paying customers of the crime of piracy, and then not apologize when they are corrected, then I'm sure you can understand why I will be reluctant to ask for further help here.
    I'm not sure why this thread took that direction, but don't let it discourage you from asking questions here. This is the number one resource for madCAM discussion.

Dan

Dan

svenakela
    I am a paying madCAM customer and I was directed from the madCAM website to ask for help here. You accused me of the criminal act of piracy based on your own incorrect assumption and your willingness to presume that I am guilty until proven innocent. If you have any sense of justice you will apologize for your accusation. I sincerely hope that you are never on the receiving end of such an accusation. I share your disgust at those who would steel the very hard work that software developers do.
    Corvus, I actually did say I was corrected, if that's not enough for you, here you go: Please accept my apology.

Let me explain one thing though. CNC Zone do have a policy when it comes to pirated software, we ban members for good if it is brought to our attention that they post about pirate copies.
    You wrote a question that several people raised questions upon, it was not only me who wondered about this. From my first post until your next post there are almost two weeks and not until then you replied about your situation. I've been a moderator for this site a very long time. People are making questions very shamelessly about pirated software, even where to get them. Members have been writing PM's directly to me asking where to get software.
    If you are a paying customer I don't really see the reason why you got so upset. Me as a moderator will do what I feel necessary to keep this site clean from unwanted threads and if your toes got a little bit blue on the way, well that happens. In the end it seems we are on the same side though and all I can say is that you are of course welcome to post your questions.

Accusations? I was threatened with beheading a few years ago when a group of members were banned. Those were the days...

Quiet down you guy's, i'm try'na hack this thing open.

Name:	apo3W65_460s.jpg 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	270502

Corvus, I actually did say I was corrected, if that's not enough for you, here you go: Please accept my apology.

Let me explain one thing though. CNC Zone do have a policy when it comes to pirated software, we ban members for good if it is brought to our attention that they post about pirate copies.
    You wrote a question that several people raised questions upon, it was not only me who wondered about this. From my first post until your next post there are almost two weeks and not until then you replied about your situation. I've been a moderator for this site a very long time. People are making questions very shamelessly about pirated software, even where to get them. Members have been writing PM's directly to me asking where to get software.
    If you are a paying customer I don't really see the reason why you got so upset. Me as a moderator will do what I feel necessary to keep this site clean from unwanted threads and if your toes got a little bit blue on the way, well that happens. In the end it seems we are on the same side though and all I can say is that you are of course welcome to post your questions.

Svenakela, thank you very much for your apology and your patient explanation of your point of view and your previous experiences here. I sincerely appreciate it.

I see now how my slow response time must have looked particularly suspicious and I have to say I'm glad that there is a no tolerance policy towards piracy here.

When I originally posted my expectations were strongly affected by the fact that I was directed here from the madCAM website. I've often dealt with companies that have their own private help forums and who ask for order numbers before help is given, which I'd be happy to provide. So the piracy comments really came as a shock because I was not thinking of the fact that this is actually an open public forum and not just a private one for madCAM customers only.

I'm also trying to figure out why I missed getting email notifications of thread replies. I suspect that was caused by my not closing the thread tab in Firefox after I started the thread. I'm a mac user and I only boot into windows to work with Rhino plug-ins. I made no effort to check or refresh that browser tab and I assumed that there was no response to the thread since I wasn't receiving email notices. I'll definitely be more carful next time as Dan's prompt reply would have saved me lots of trial and error if I'd seen it sooner.

So several lessons learned for me, and svenakela and Dan - thanks for your patience.

Accusations? I was threatened with beheading a few years ago when a group of members were banned. Those were the days...
    Holy sh*t, that's brutal. And as a mod you have to deal with everything from that to the sensitive-types (like me.) My sympathies