588,611 active members*
6,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Power table feed

I know you folks are all about CNC but I'm hoping someone can point me toward a power table feed that will directly fit the IH machine?

Would that be the one Lathemaster sells or would the Bridgeport style work?
    I haven't measured yet but it seems the BP styles fit a 5/8" shaft.

TIA

Check out the IH website under "Mill tips". There are some details on how to fit a power feed to the X axis. I think its the lathemaster one.

doh!!!!

i fit the power feed and am really not crazy about how it works. i think i would rather have come up with my own solution, as the commercial power feeds are really noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    i fit the power feed and am really not crazy about how it works. i think i would rather have come up with my own solution, as the commercial power feeds are really noisy.
    Is yours the one from Lathemaster?
    Motor noise or gears?
    Does it operate smoothly?

There's a Servo on the BP at work and the sound really isn't offensive at all, but I wouldn't pay their price. Give & take I suppose, eh?

I had thought of making one but I'm chasing too many rabbits as it is.

i didn't buy it from lathemaster but i think they are all the same. same chinese packaging and all. the mount that came with it broke and i had to fab a new one out of aluminum. really kinda cheesy for the price. i think i would buy a gear motor and run it directly next time. you can get right angle gear motors pretty cheaply on ebay. and the drives are about $50.00

A power feed set up for a Bridgeport wont fit the IH or Lathemasters directly, but it can be adapted. I got an inexpensive one off eBay and am in the process of adapting it to my IH. It's a matter of making an adapter for the shaft as well as a plate that adapts the bolt pattern. When I finish the project (no promises!) I'll write it up and post the drawings. It isn't hard if you are comfortable turning things on the lathe and drilling plates accurately.

If not, the Lathemaster works out of the box.

Best,

BW

OK Bob, you done!?:stickpoke

Sorry Quasi, it will definitely be weeks, if not months--too many irons in the fire. I will try to put up some sort of interim progress on the web site and report back. Right now my focus is on trying to get my CNC lathe project up and running. I've also just bought the butterfly impact wrench and air cylinder needed to make a power drawbar for the mill. And there is also the matter of my unfinished Y-Axis DRO. Sorry!

So many projects, so little time!

Best,

BW

:drowning: Bob! Gotta just "float" for awhile!

I'm just ordering up the Lathemaster anyway or I'LL be going under myself for sure!

Len

Floating's what I do when I'm on these darned boards not getting any progress on my projects. LOL.

In any event, I wrote up my progress thus far on the power feed:

http://www.thewarfields.com/MT/CCMillPowerFeed.html

You will get things working much faster by ordering the finished unit.

The powered drawbar has had no machine work done yet, I'm waiting on the parts:

http://www.thewarfields.com/MT/CCIHMillDrawbar.html

Best,

BW

Couldn't help myself, finished up the power feed today. They're nice!

Details here: http://www.thewarfields.com/MT/CCMillPowerFeed.html

Best,

BW