587,181 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 45 on diesel generator?

Hi everyone,
    I am planning my CNC plasma build and have had the idea to run a powermax 45 on a 3-phase diesel generator, this would save me needing to get it permanently hooked up to my garage, and will be initially cheaper than paying an electrician to run new wires and another power meter etc. Also if i happened to move in the future, it would avoid the need to change the power supply configuration at the new location.

When selecting a generator, what should i specifically be looking for to avoid damaging the electronics of the powermax 45? I have been looking at this one but it may be too small for the power needs of the 45.

AGR Machinery | Genpower 8KVA Diesel Generator

its specs are:
    AC Voltage: 240V/415 50Hz
    Max. Output: 8.1kVA @ a power factor of 0.8
    Rated Output: 5.0kVA @ a power factor of 1.0
    DC Output: 12V - 8.3A
    Alternator Type: Permanent Brushless Magnet
    Output Type: 3x240v 15Amp, 1x415V 20Amp. Note: Each 240v outlet supplies approx 1/3 of the total generator output - e.g. 7amps
    Engine Type: Single-Cylinder, 4-Stroke, Air-Cooled, Direct Injection Diesel
    Engine Displacement: 420cc
    Engine Max. Output: 6.3kW/3600rpm
    Compression Ratio: 19:1
    Fuel Consumption: 280 (g/kWh)
    Fuel: Commerically Available Diesel or Compatible
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 15L
    Rated Continuous Operation: 8h (100% load) / 12h (50% load)
    Oil Type: SAE 10W30 / Diesel Engine Oil
    Oil Capacity : 1.65L
    Noise Level at 7m: 74db
    Enclosure: Super Silent Type

any and all opinions are welcome!

Powermax45 handheld plasma cutter | Hypertherm
    The datasheet here says that you need 8kw of electrical generator. Now to get 8kw you would need a 10kVA generator.
    The link you listed is only a 8kVA/5kW generator.

We've had plenty of issues trying to run caddy welders on small generators. The issues is normally that as the welding unit starts the arc, the load increases on the generator and the generator governor doesn't react quickly enough. The engine speed drops away, and then the volts drop. The caddy welder then sees this frequency and voltage fluctuation and then doesn't want to weld.

Both the engine governor and the generator AVR need to be pretty good to run a caddy (or plasma cutter) when the generator is borderline in size. Or you can get away with a larger generator.

+++
    I know nothing about hypatherm 45 plasma cutters, but I am assuming that it requires a 3 phase supply.
    If it is a single phase supply, then that generator won't supply enough (only 3 single circuits of 7A, not 1 circuit with 20A). So even though it has 15A socket outlets, it can't really supply the power required.

I wouldn't buy unit. You definitely need bigger, and maybe better.

Bushwakka

The CE version (Australia) of the Powermax45 operates on 400 volt, 3 phase. The input current can vary depending on how thick the materials is that is being cut, so you can operate the Powermax45 on a 6kW to 8kW generator with no issues. The current input draw will be about 10 Amps at 400 volts 3 phase when cutting materials up to 13 mm, and can go as high as 15.5 amps on thicker materials. If you are only cutting thin materials, probably thinner than about 6 mm the generator you have specified may work OK. I would suggest a larger generator if you need full capacity from the Powermax45.

Attached is the recommended generator chart from the Powermax45 operators manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by jazza View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am planning my CNC plasma build and have had the idea to run a powermax 45 on a 3-phase diesel generator, this would save me needing to get it permanently hooked up to my garage, and will be initially cheaper than paying an electrician to run new wires and another power meter etc. Also if i happened to move in the future, it would avoid the need to change the power supply configuration at the new location.

When selecting a generator, what should i specifically be looking for to avoid damaging the electronics of the powermax 45? I have been looking at this one but it may be too small for the power needs of the 45.

AGR Machinery | Genpower 8KVA Diesel Generator

its specs are:
    AC Voltage: 240V/415 50Hz
    Max. Output: 8.1kVA @ a power factor of 0.8
    Rated Output: 5.0kVA @ a power factor of 1.0
    DC Output: 12V - 8.3A
    Alternator Type: Permanent Brushless Magnet
    Output Type: 3x240v 15Amp, 1x415V 20Amp. Note: Each 240v outlet supplies approx 1/3 of the total generator output - e.g. 7amps
    Engine Type: Single-Cylinder, 4-Stroke, Air-Cooled, Direct Injection Diesel
    Engine Displacement: 420cc
    Engine Max. Output: 6.3kW/3600rpm
    Compression Ratio: 19:1
    Fuel Consumption: 280 (g/kWh)
    Fuel: Commerically Available Diesel or Compatible
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 15L
    Rated Continuous Operation: 8h (100% load) / 12h (50% load)
    Oil Type: SAE 10W30 / Diesel Engine Oil
    Oil Capacity : 1.65L
    Noise Level at 7m: 74db
    Enclosure: Super Silent Type

any and all opinions are welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pmx45generatorchart.png  

Hello Jim,
    What about ground? Ground between diesel generator and garage electric run to 1 point? How about freq of diesel if unstable or should I have good avr to have stable freq to run powermax. I have experience that it is no good to run cnc on diesel. All hypertherm especially powermax can be run on diesel generator? If it is recommended, in the future I like to run my powermax on diesel generator and cnc on garage electric.

I run my brand new PowerMax 45 on Miller Bobcat 225 Welder/Generator. Had to rewire the plug on the plasma to fit the 240 outlet on the welder, but otherwise, no issues. When you first squeeze the trigger, the welder ramps up and then holds until 5 - 10 seconds after electric demand drops. So, it works fine. The Bobcat 225 is a 11,000 watt peak, 9,000 watt continuous unit. Runs gas. Gas, diesel, bio, steam... for this question, same thing. "Can you run a PowerMax 45 on a generator?" Yes.

You can get a Bobcat for $3500 new, or $2500 used if you're willing to patiently watch for one. I got mine on Craigslist for $2750. Had 18 hours on the clock. Now I don't need to worry about power requirements.

Power is pretty decent, as it supports finicky TIG processes. YMMV, but...

As far as running CNC on diesel or generator of any kind. It's fine if you get yourself a UPS unit. Ebay has em for plenty cheap. You order without the batteries, (as they are usually no good after they come out of service) and buy fresh Lead Acid batteries from a local battery supplier. Shipping usually costs more than the UPS. a 3,000 KVA should do the trick nicely and that is a fairly average commercial/corporate UPS size that is ALL OVER Ebay for cheap.