587,661 active members*
3,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Powermax 65 machine torch on Torchmate 2

Powermax 65 machine torch on Torchmate 2

I have a Torchmate 2 CNC table, and I am using the Powermax 65 machine torch. I am using the 45amp fine cut tip, and set everything up according to the cut Hypertherm cut chart for this machine. However, my table doesnt seem to be able to handle cutting faster than 90ipm without shaking too much.

Is there any way to calculate what settings would need to be at that speed?

I am getting alot of low speed dross on the bottom of my plate? Do I need to reduce my amperage, voltage, pierce height, delay, cut height to get a cleaner cut with less dross? How does all of that correlate with one another?

I mostly cut 12-18 gauge steel.

Thanks!

Your Torchmate machine should be stable up to about 150 inches per minute speeds....you may want to carefully check it out and work with Torchmates tech service group, they are very helpful, to get it performing better. Usually motion issues that limit speed involve mechanical slop (loose cam follower bearings, loose rack and pinion gear mesh, loose motor mounts, etc.) or binding.

Once you get the speed issues sorted...Use the lowest power consumables (as you are, the Fine Cuts) that will cut the thickness your desire to cut. You can reduce the amperage for the Fine Cuts....they work well down to about 25 amps....this will allow you to experiment with speed settings that will work that are under your machines practical speed limitations. The single most important factor....torch height (you don't mention if you have a torch height control system) must be maintained at the specs from the manual...which is .08 inches (I have better performance at .06").....anything higher than .08" and the cuts will get ugly.

Make sure that you are using the 220948 shield and the 220857 swirl ring with your FineCut consumables for best performance.

There also is a "speed test" recommended by Torchmate that will help you dial in the best cut speed for the plasma for different thicknesses.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by FunWestTexan View Post
    I have a Torchmate 2 CNC table, and I am using the Powermax 65 machine torch. I am using the 45amp fine cut tip, and set everything up according to the cut Hypertherm cut chart for this machine. However, my table doesnt seem to be able to handle cutting faster than 90ipm without shaking too much.

Is there any way to calculate what settings would need to be at that speed?

I am getting alot of low speed dross on the bottom of my plate? Do I need to reduce my amperage, voltage, pierce height, delay, cut height to get a cleaner cut with less dross? How does all of that correlate with one another?

I mostly cut 12-18 gauge steel.

Thanks!