587,192 active members*
2,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

programming a .5 rad

hey guys, noobie here. this forum is HUGE!!!!! and i have a question. well, i have many, but i will start w/this one. I recently started a new machining job. I have been in machining for around 8 years, but i haven't had the opportunity to get into CNC programming. well, that has all changed. the company i now work for hires not people w/experience, but those with POTENTIAL! they bring u in and train you hardcore on the programming of swiss machines......L20, L16, L25. they claim 2 b real patient, but after the last couple days, i think i am testing my bosses patience. see........it is the actual supervisor who trains us noob's. it is very intimidating, as u can probly imagine.
    so now i am at the point that if i missed something that i should have picked up by now, and i ask him about it, he just tells me how i should know that by now....yadda, yadda. so the question i am hoping someone here can spare me from feeling like **** if i have to ask him is this........
    can someone give me a formula for coming up w/the dim's to program in a .5 rad?? it's like this..........we make punches. for punch presses and brake presses and so on. i am sure most of u know what a punch looks like, so what i am talking about here is you have a head diameter, a shaft or body dia, and then there is a .5 rad that goes to the point. so the punch would have a .495 head od, a .385 shaft OD, and a .25 point OD. my question is how exactly do i come up w/the dim's to program that .5 rad ?? i know it involves the use of a loss of radius chart that tells where the start and end points are, but i just ain't sure how to use it. and if i ask one of the other workers at work for the help, they'll give it to me, but it will get back to the boss, so why not just ask him if that's the case?? I don't wanna!!

if anyone can help, much app'd. if i left some info out, just ask.

thanx all.

This page might help you understand.

http://www.nfrpartners.com/nfrg2g3.htm
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com