587,354 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

Well, I have just started to go over these drawings. Lots of tapping and bolting.

I kind of have the best of both worlds. I have a heavy background in cabinet making, and my step father has a metal machine shop.

I wonder how MDF would work in place of the aluminium? Dense, pretty damn straight. I could biscuit, glue, and screw parts together. Even the gantry parts. Any comments? Very cost effective!!

Going back to the metal side I think I could use a structural steel angle for the gear rack rails. Really cuts down on the joints, and I am assuming the cost. I think I can get some nice straight stock. As for the gantry pieces, well flashes of mdf still rush through my head. Anyhoot, If I go metal I think I would stick to metal. The aluminium would do fine. I would weld the parts together rather than bolt it all up.

I'm kinda thinking out loud here. I am asking for input.

Next thing I will be researching are the Linear rails, bearings, and lead screws. Sounds like I will have to raid my piggy bank for those.
    Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Well Cam, It depends on the size machine you want and what you will use it for.

Personally I love steel, It is strong for its size, Quick to weld. Easy to bolt, cheap, and hard wearing.
    Balsaman ( you will find his posts in this forum) has made a router out of MDF. From all his picture he makes nice stuff from it. I wouldnt want to mill aluminium in a MDF built table though.

There are cheap alternatives to linear rails too.

Why dont you post what you want to make, and its size, and then we will have a better idea how to advise you.
    Being outside the square !!!

ynneb,
    I am building from the cadcut plans. The machine will be able to route a full 4x8 sheet of plywood. You can view the machine in the main of this thread, or at :

http://www.inshorepowerboats.com/cnc.../CNCROUTER.htm

It's a large machine. Take a peek at it, and see what you think. Nice machine, simple in design, nice quality prints. This is my first at building a cnc. THINK HUGE!

Dave D
    Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.