588,665 active members*
4,911 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues

Well good morning everyone, and DJ.

So the control system part seems to be taken care of, fired it up this morning, it found the CompactFlash and loaded up, screen was good except I did need to change windows display from 800x600 to 640x480.

I went in and tested the jog. Z works fine. When I try to jog X there is a decent thump in the stepping motor mounted (operator position) under the left side of the table, and I get the error Critical error 99: Servo Error. With Y there is absolutely nothing it just alarms out with a Y axis fault: Error 43.... So yea, I got a little more info from one of the other employees. The repairman who came in to replace the pc parts had it running fine for about 2 weeks, and then it started doing what it is doing right now. So I wonder what they did to get it to run fine, and then what could have happened within 2 weeks that would make this issue show. I am trying to decide if this is hardware or software. I am going to focus on cleaning everything up good, check out the step motor. If anyone has any ideas, I really appreciate any help. Thanks!

...Thats great news. cool. Now, need to know what type/brand Servo Amp's you have. Photos or model numbers shouild be marked on them. If, they are Servo Dynamics have some manuals for them.

DJ

Alrighty here are the photos for you.

I really appreciate you and all your help, you are awesome.

If you celebrate I hope you have a wonderful Holiday. Im not sure yet if I am coming in tomorrow, it is my choice, however I will not be back until the 5th, but I get on here all the time at home, so I shall be around.

Take er easy!!!

Alma R Webster
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230630_153354.jpg   20230630_153447.jpg   20230630_153352.jpg   20230630_153433.jpg  

20230630_153423.jpg   20230630_153413.jpg   20230630_153409.jpg   20230630_153403.jpg  

...glad to help. Your welcome.

...So, the Z Axis seems to be working ok...that's good. I found a manual for the Axis Modules and you can download if, needed.
    https://www.artisantg.com/PLC/61703-...werBlok-Module
    ...I was reading thru the manual a little bit and the 1st thing we can check is Digital display on each Unit. It will display error codes and Status of each unit. So, startup the machine and look to see what is displayed. The Z should be reading "0." the decimal point show when unit is Enabled or Disabled (E-Stop ).
    on X and Y Modules should have an Error Code than we can go from there. On the CNC side of controlling the Axis there are some Setup Parameters some where that we need to check. Double check all cables, plugs, etc on X and Y.

Before, I forget again....we need to Backup the Config file some where other than on the machine...Like the USB Stick or a Networked PC. How this Backup is done not sure yet....more reading ....lol.

Away...what is Axis Modules displaying on the Error Code 1st.

DJ

Hey there DJ, hope you had a good holiday (if you celebrate). I have finally been able to snag those power Blok codes for you. They are quite self explanatory, however if you would have any possible "best locations" to check that would be helpful.

Now I was not entirely sure how to read these codes so the way I wrote them down was from the top, then middle, finally bottom Blok. Just to be thorough.

So when moving Z- No issues it had Top-0, Middle-9, Bottom-0.

Moving (not) X- Top- 3, Middle- 9, Bottom- 2.

Finally Y- Top- 2, Middle- 9, Bottom- 2.

When trying to move Y, I get Error 43, and Error 42 for X, and a Service code 203.

So with the middle always staying at 9 (DC link under voltage) I am wondering if that may be causing the other down stream issues?

Then X has- motor short/ground fault.
    And Y- has watchdog time timeout. This also appears on both X & Y on the bottom Power Blok. I cycled them many times to make sure that the codes stayed consistent and at no point did they deviate from what I have provided.

So yea, looks like for X I am hunting for a bad ground or possibly something in the motor itself. As for Y, I have to look through the manuals to understand those.

After reading the descriptions of these 3 codes, I have a feeling that they may all be tied into the same issue, as with 9 "Under voltage faults that occur during load acceleration are usually due to too high a bus inductance or too low a bus capacitance. Lowering the commanded acceleration rate or adding more capacitance will eliminate this fault."- This I must figure how to do. And then I would be interested to see how that affects codes 2 and 3.

As always thank you so much for your help, any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. I apologize for my run on post with craziness, however it is the end of the day, and I am going home! \

Hope you are well, can't wait to hear from you.

Alma R Webster

...read and try doing this Service Code 203 to Y Axis ....It says something about every time the machine is started have to do a 203

4.9.2.7 CODE 203: Brushless Motor Alignment
    This service code needs to be performed each time the ProtoTRAK is turned on, new software
    is installed or axis motors have been replaced. The control will boot up automatically to this
    screen. Press the Check System key and follow instructions on screen.
    WARNING!
    It is important that there are no obstructions on any axis before running this code. If there is an obstruction,
    then use the electronic handwheels to slowly move the machine away from the obstruction.
    Each axis will move approximately 1” during this routine. The handwheels will not move at
    the normal feedrates during this routine. Failure to move each axis away from an
    obstruction will cause a crash.
    The Motor Alignment Routine Code 203 calculates the relative position between the motor
    poles on the stator and the magnets on the rotor through the use of the motor encoder.
    Once the stator and rotor are aligned the encoder’s absolute zero is set. The routine also
    distinguishes which type of motor is being used on the machine. The routine can last up to
    30 seconds. After 30 seconds, the routine will under go a Time-out. If the motor alignment
    routine fails to work properly, a message should appear on the display prompting the user
    that the motor alignment routine has failed.

....Also, do Service Code 304 and 305 and turn OFF the XY sensors/glass tracks.to help troubleshooting

...oh, this may help get to Service Codes.

4.9.2 Machine Set-up Codes
    The following codes are used primarily when setting up a new machine. To get to any of
    these codes go to Service Codes, press “B” and press the code you wish to view.

Page 70
    https://www.southwesternindustries.c...949_Manual.pdf

There is an Open Loop Test too...we can check Service Code 100

Ooohhh very nice DJ! I feel like we are getting close, I am trying to get this thing working before we move to the new building, you have been such a HUGE help! Thank you. I am gonna get on these while I am draining our EDM machine, just gotta run 100 feet of hose, lol. And did they put drains in the floor of the new building?.... of course not... :drowning: LOL!

Thanks buddy!

Alma

Hey DJ, just wanted to let you know I haven't given up, lol! I unfortunately hurt my back last week and was out of work. Now that I am back it is time to move to the new building, so the repair is on pause for a bit. Ive tried all the codes you sent me, and X did actually move for the first time about half an inch then alarmed out again.
    So I am securing the head/spindle, and she is up and out of here.

...when you get the machine wired up double check that the incoming 3PH voltage is within tolerance. Measure Leg to Leg. also just leave the machine in EStop and power ON everything except the axis enabled. Warmed up machine sometimes run better...lol.

Chat more soon,
    DJ

Hey DJ, well than kyou for all the help. All that work we did, and now in the new building....its sitting in storage.....roflmao! We are still trying to get everything setup, they didnt exactly design the new place very well for trying to stuff a Machine shop in the corner of an assembly floor building..... Yea. I said, keep the old building, and make a killer machine shop. But yea, is what it is. I am not sure when we shall continue the efforts on the Trak, but if you are interested, when ever it comes around to me fixing it again, I shall be here.
    And a quick question, do you have a membership to something where you get all the drawings while you were helping me? Thanks, I am interested in the service if it is one. And thank you again for all your help, once we do get back to it, I really think we are close. Thank you!!!!

Page 2 of 2 12