588,178 active members*
4,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Pulley size for Bridgeport 1J head motor replacemet

Pulley size for Bridgeport 1J head motor replacemet

I recently purchased a Bridgeport mill with a 1J (step pulley) head and need to replace the motor because it was a Canadian machine and their motor configuration is not compatible with ours in the US.

I don't forsee any difficulty with getting a replacement motor (I have 3 phase power) however, I'm pretty sure I need to replace the pulleys as the canadian motor was running at 3475 rpm - wheras the US motors that I have seen run at 1750 or so RPM.

Does anybody know of replacement step pulley kits that are properly sized for the bridgeport?

Thanks in advance.

If the existing motor is a 3 phase motor why don't you just install a VFD that would most likely cover any motor differences between Canada and the US.

Craig

I don't know if that would work - its not just a voltage difference between here and canada (240/480V vs 525V) - the motors are wired in a different configuration.

If you're referring to the difference between 3 Phase delta and 3 phase Y, they are compatable.

SM

I know on big 3 phase motors, you never run the VFD much above 62hz, or the life of the motor will suffer. I doubt you want to run a 1750RPM motor at 120 hz. Even a small 2HP. It might not be too expensive, to just use a transformer to step the voltage up or down, depending on what you need. You can easily step 480V 3 phase up to 525V 3 phase. A 1HP motor is only pulling a couple amps.

I ended up getting a used replacement motor (normal 220/440V). I haven't hooked it up yet so I have yet to see it work or if I have any pulley-related speed issues, but I will be needing to use the machine fairly soon. I will post my results once its up and running.