588,585 active members*
13,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Question about the power of the spindle on the Torus Pro
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Question about the power of the spindle on the Torus Pro

Spin-up time has nothing whatsoever to do with the braking resistor - it is purely the VFD parameter setting. The resistor is used ONLY for braking. If the braking time parameter is set too short, the VFD will have an over-current fault, and the spindle will simply spin down without using the resistor. So, first figure out why spin-up is slow. Then try a longer braking time, like 203 seconds, and see if that works. I believe I had mine set to about 1 second for both spin-up and spin-down.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I'd like to mention that my spin up/down times were on the rev 5 BOB, not the 4. I killed the rev5 board(my fault) and went back to the 4 until a new one could be shipped. I don't know why, but it didn't perform the same after that. I had to change some settings....it got close, but not quite as good.
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

I have been using a GS2 VFD on my Bridgeport for 8 years, and they are very well documented and reliable. Good choice by John IMO.

Braking resistor support ought to be quite easy to detect; there's either connections for one or there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    I have the C300A with baking resistor. Works fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    When you get a moment, could you verify for certain that you have the C300A as opposed to the C300, and if so, could you share your decel setting (F0.11) ??

Tia!

Ray

My apologies, c300

Bill....What are your motor tuning specs in mach? I have my spindle set at

steps 1000
    Velocity 59766
    Accel 15728

which comes up with 40 g's.

step/dir pulse both at 5

Hey MK;
    I honestly have not checked the mach settings on the spindle speed. My Bad, just never thought of it! But, I'll do that as soon as I get home from work today! I did check my VFD for the model and it is the C300 (I'll attach a pix of the label).
    Also, what is the model of the GS2 being marketed by Novakon to replace the C300? I'll buy a replacement if I can't get this one to work as it should.
    One last thought. I don't remember if I installed the power cord of if the Pro came with one. If it were undersized and not delivering the power required by the machine, would that impact spin-up time? Seems like it would be related. What size wire is everyone using?
    Many thanks and happy Friday!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey MK;
    I honestly have not checked the mach settings on the spindle speed. My Bad, just never thought of it! But, I'll do that as soon as I get home from work today! I did check my VFD for the model and it is the C300 (I'll attach a pix of the label).
    Also, what is the model of the GS2 being marketed by Novakon to replace the C300? I'll buy a replacement if I can't get this one to work as it should.
    One last thought. I don't remember if I installed the power cord of if the Pro came with one. If it were undersized and not delivering the power required by the machine, would that impact spin-up time? Seems like it would be related. What size wire is everyone using?
    Many thanks and happy Friday!
    Bill
    Supply is the first direction we checked on ours, before finding the VFD settings to be the issue. We have a 14 gauge supply cord to ours, now that the VFD settings are correct it spins up like the videos posted in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    If it were undersized and not delivering the power required by the machine, would that impact spin-up time?
    Bill
    Not a chance, unless you used ridiculously small wire.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Not a chance, unless you used ridiculously small wire.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    In which case, would probably catch fire before it would throw the breaker

Yup, the new Mach settings (motor) helped a bunch! I used
    steps 1000
    Velocity 59766
    Accel 15728
    but couldn't get the velocity quit has high. Must have different settings in my smooth stepper setup!
    Funny thing happened though. After making the changes in the motor tuning section, my spindle direction was reversed. I don't think I changed any direction signals but I ended up having to reverse two motor output leads on the VFD!
    If someone has any type of explanation for this, I would sure like to hear it! I admit to not being the sharpest knife in the drawer but some of this just doesn't make sense!
    One last question for Novakon! Is there a recommended setting for the spindle setting in motor tuning? Also, is there a motor power curve for the setup we are using on the PRO. I broke a couple of 1/4 inch endmills running at 40 IPM with a spindle speed of 6000 while cutting 6061. I'm sure I was running too the feed to slow but with a doc of .1" and full flood, I was kind of surprised!
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Cool! I'm glad they helped! I think on the spindle settings page, there's a place where it refers to relays or inputs, 2 and 4. If you interchange those, your spindle will run opposite of what it was. I switched my spindle direction there instead of at the wiring. I think there's a setting in the vfd too that will switch it.

It's still loading, but here's a vid I shot on the subject. I'd almost forgotten about it until I got Bill's post. lol

https://youtu.be/0oaA4SNFHx4

Page 3 of 3 123