585,752 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > Question on behavior of files in Profiles/Default/UserCmd

Question on behavior of files in Profiles/Default/UserCmd

All scripts for user commands which should appear in sub-menue "Machine/User Commands" must be located in directory UserCmd.
    So far so good.

During work on my own user commands I noticed a strange behavior of files which get copied to this directory.

It seems not to be possible to overwrite an existing file with a file that has the same name, e.g. when transferring updated file-versions between the PC in the office and the control unit in the shop.

A file with same name can never be copied to this directory again. After restart of PlanetCNC the content of the file will always be reset to the previous state.

The only known workaround is to change the name of the newest file version, before copying it to the UserCmd-directory.

Can anybody explain what is the reason for this behavior and if there is a way to overcome it?

Re: Question on behavior of files in Profiles/Default/UserCmd

If you are working under windows, then it may because of the UAC... My suggestion: Give the local user full access to the profiles folder. When copying files between computers, windows may have problems querying for Admin rights during copy process.

Yes it's windows, but it also is the case on my Raspi.
    On Windows user has full acces to whole profile directory structure.
    So UAC seems not to be the root cause?

Is TNG running while you are copying the files? I only know from settings file that it would be reset becaus tng writes to it during close. Maybe you can also install an app to see if an app is internally locking that file for write access. Under Windows I use File Locksmith. This tool shows if a file is used at the moment by any application.