587,168 active members*
3,326 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question for users

I've been thinking of changing CAM systems lately.

Featurecam Looks interesting.

What I ask is what made you choose feature cam? and what other systems were you comparing it to?
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

nice question

Every CAM package has its nitch and they are good at it or they would not still be on the market, many have come and gone.
    when considering a CAM package many things come to play.
    I have been ask several times to recommend a CAM software. and to be fair to the requestor and the considered softwares' in my opinion the type of work/shop/machines must be considered. After that
    Look for a software that is user friendly enough to be productive and efficient while still having enough guts and options to do whats neccesary to get the job done. (Don't buy a 2D package if everything you do is 3D, 4 axis, or Complex surfacing) one software to do this and another to do that is just extra expense multiple interfaces to keep up with and probably pay maintanance on not to mention the unproductive learniong curves. find one to do everthing you need or even MIGHT soon need. Turning 2-2.5 D 3D 4and or 5 axis....etc. even if you dont purchase all the modules now make sure you can later.
    Support is a HUGE factor if your choice does not have local support I personally would not even consider it. 1-800 is nice but a sit down and show me is sometimes the best way. CODE GENERATORS if you cant get a good post processor your CAM software is nothing but an expensive video game.
    If I have 8 or 9 different machines and have to pay a grand each for post and have a few every time i need a tweek Im in the poor house again. best case scenario is free post and post support! everything from there is more cost.

How important is value to the company? If I have all the money in the world and budget is deep even that might sway my decision....

OK now that i have beat around the bush let me get back to your specific question... FeatureCam is very user friendly and still powerful enough to accomplish everything I need. I think out of the box it comes with over one hundred post processors free post help AND I think easy enough to tweek myself..I'm no rocket scientist.
    It has the same interface for turning milling surfacing 4 axis etc i like that!
    easy....im going to say in most cases within a couple of days anyone with cad or cam experience should be productive with featurecam.
    I teach and i use it for my basic cam class
    it has the features i like
    Tool crib cant BELIEVE people still build tools and tool descriptions ev erytime they program but they do
    automation I love this as long as i can overide the automation (I still think i am a better programmer than the computer! and need to justify my existance)
    I can automate <-----is that a word? if I always use a center drill when i do a hole i can make that my default if i want to put a .010 chamfer with that center drill i can make that my default.
    automagical!!!! hmm ok that isnt a word

I like the automatic capabilities in feature cam love the feture recognition love solid mdeling in the same software i am going to program in. If i had to complain about something i wish it was a bit better drafting package i would like to put out better prints from it but i can save as dwg or dxf and have my geometry.
    it also brings in all the majors ige,iges.dxf,dwg,sldprt and many others
    including ProE and catia
    ok probably a bit more opinion than you were looking for but what the heck.
    boredom breeds creativity and i must be pregnant tonight!
    hope this helps also might suggest visiting with your local technical collage or vo-tech if you have one about a CAM-JAM I have invited several cam packages in for a week of demonstrations no sales allowed just Q&A and business cards no high pressure sales crap just good info. companys come and watch all the cam softwares they are considering even bring the same parts to all of them to see how they do on them.

remember the right "tools" can make or break a shop and your programming software is as an important decision as the type of machines to use. make it with as much facts as you can collect!

happy camming!

Rick

Thanks Rick.

I've got a CAM system that I'm not entirely happy with right now. I went budget conscious, and feel like it's ok, but I'm looking to see if there is something better out there. I'm familar with Mastercam, Gibbs, Unigraphics V18, Catia V5, and a few others. I've not seen FeatureCAM. I think I'll get the demo and mess with it, and see if it suits my logic!

Any other feature cam users out there care to share their opinion?

B
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

MAK,
    You can read through my old posts on this subject and tell that I like it. The shop I’m in now uses MC, I’m on a turning center and can write code faster with the machine CAM than MC. I sure wish they had FeatureTurn. The amount of things you can do in FC to customize it is endless. In my last shop I had a setup for each machine for imperial and metric, with tool cribs for each. I never had to spend time translating dimensions from one to the other. What ever system the blue print used is the system I programmed in. I haven’t checked in a while but I think it is still the best bang for your buck. IMHO!

Gary

i can"t add much to Rick's answer except that i have been with FeatureCam since version 1 was given to me by my Bridgeport sales guy- now 2 companys later and version 14- it works.

also if you contact Blaine Duke at Delcam/featureCam you used to be able to get a time based dongle to eveluate the actual code...dont know the cost of it now but used to be real resonable.
    1-888-393-6455 i think he is extension 128 but if not ask for him
    Always helpful to me