587,656 active members*
8,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Questions on a 5 axis trunnion with a VF-2BTR

Questions on a 5 axis trunnion with a VF-2BTR

Hello All,

I recently picked up a used 2004 VF 2 BTR with a 160 Trunnion.

I am in the process of getting it set up. I haven't had a lot of time to investigate the Trunnion system yet, but I'm finding it hard to see a quick and easy way to set it up on the bed so that it can removed and replaced with the minimum effort to make sure it is square and true each time.

There are two bolts on each end, but no key way that I could make out anywhere. Am I missing something? There does appear to be a hole in line with the bolts but I haven't checked to see if it is for a dowel yet or not. The trunnion is on a pallet and I couldn't get under it easily yet.

Also, how do you pick yours up? There's nothing obviously simple. Do you use the 4 bolt holes (assymetrical pattern) around the b axis table?

I'm looking for the best way to put it on the machine so I can change from the 5 axis set up back to the table and vices.

Also, does anyone use a similar system with a vice on the trunnion? Or should I just make fixtures for all my jobs (again why I think I need a simple way of getting the trunnion on and off the machine, so I can make my fixtures etc.)

It looks like the trunnion has to be mounted to the middle t-slot. There doesn't appear to be enough room to offset it back and then put a vice on the front.

I was also considering making a platform that would fit on top of the trunnion main section and with the trunnion swung up at 90 degrees allowing me to mount a vice to the new platform. Thoughts?

I'd appreciate any information or tips from people in a similar situation.

Thanks

heeey nice seeing you here!

For ours, we ended up purchasing an overhead gantry lift specifically for the indexer. We use the smaller 160mm version which is smaller than yours, but it still weighs a few hundred pounds. It's not impossible to lift, but is very awkward to get in and out of the machine.
    I don't have any pictures of the actual rig we have (can get some tomorrow), but this is what we bought Telescoping Gantry Crane - 1 Ton

I think you'll find that figuring a seemingly-elaborate method to load the indexer isn't so bad since you'll be using vices more often, and you can coordinate uses of the indexer so you're not pulling it in and out of the machine all the time. That is unless you plan to do a LOT of work with the indexer....

I know there's lot of other guys here that have integrated systems set up to move the indexers out of the way, though most of the time those are for 4th axis platters that don't present such a space issue....I'd love to hear from anybody else.

Hey Andy

Do you open the side windows and run that gantry through the machine first? Looks like a good option. I was considering an engine hoist, but that looks better.

I am planning to use the trunnion a lot, or at least I was. Depends on how much of a PITA it becomes.

Most of what I plan will be a 1st op in a 3 axis set up, then put onto a fixture on the platter to do the other 5 sides.

Or put onto the platter to do 3 sides, then another fixture on the platter to do the other 3 sides...

I will be designing my fixtures for a while.

nah I lift the trunnion then move the entire gantry over the machine, guiding it in through the main doors. With patience you can do it alone, but it's nice to have somebody on the other end.

It doesn't take a huge amount of time to set up, but having to unload your generic workholding vices/etc might make the time stack up. It kindof depends on what you're doing with the 5th, some cases you have to dial-indicate the hell out of everything but it depends on how the workpiece is being held.

BUT i just remembered you have a chip conveyor...the harbor freight one might not fit for you. Ours has about 2" clearance on both sides of the enclosure but we don't have the conveyor chute sticking out the side. You might be able to buy a slightly bigger one, or wriggle it around to fit even with the conveyor chute installed, not sure on that myself....

I didn't see this mentioned so I'll give it a try. Have you thought about putting the trunion on a plate permanently and having the plate keyed to the table?

Yes, I've definitely been considering that. I was just not sure if I had missed something obvious.

My current thoughts are towards a 2" thick baseplate. Work out how far I can move the Trunnion to the back of the plate and still have the work envelope I need for the kinds of parts I am making, and then over hang the plate to the front over the drip tray in order to make enough space for vices and 3 axis only fixtures.

Then I'll put bolt and dowel pin holes in a grid through the front of the plate so I have many options for locking down different fixtures and try to make everything to a standard but modular design (actually this is how I used to make things many years ago when I worked in the Auto industry with model making).

I wasn't sure if I was going to put the trunnion on a plate itself or just get it aligned on the base plate and then cut dowel holes through it's base to line it up next time... my reasoning is that I don't want to lose too much Z height. With a 2" base plate and a 1" plate under the trunnion, and then the height of my platter base plate system, I am going to be losing maybe 5" roughly of Z. It might not matter for what I want to make, but I haven't verified that yet.

Still waiting to get my 3 phase hooked up so working on my fixture designs and concepts in the mean time.

Edit: I could cut the base plate thinner where the Trunnion sits to get some of my Z height back, but then I would lose versatility if I need that space when I remove the trunnion. So many options...