587,998 active members*
1,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > quick question about spindle face/r8 collet

quick question about spindle face/r8 collet

my machine is 30+ miles from me now but i have a question about it.

does the face of the r8 collet stick out beyond the spindle face? what i have in mind is a 1.625" od piece with a .75" shank and a square shoulder. if the shank is mounted in the collet, will the shoulder pull tight against the spindle face? i can remember for sure but it seems like the tts holders may have a relief in the shoulder area.

can someone close to their machine please confirm if this will or will not work for me?

thanks.

I just tightened two different TTS holders (a 1/2" endmill holder and an ER holder) in my machine with just enough gap between the TTS shoulder and spindle face to sqeeze in my test indicator point. In both cases, the face of the Tormach R8 collet was .005" recessed from the spindle face. YMMV, but given Tormach's attention to detail in this area I would guess you should also have a slight clearance. And yes, all TTS holder faces are recessed inboards of the perimeter shoulder.

edit: And don't forget about the TTS conversion ring (#30675) if you are worried about a square shoulder not having clearance. The ring is .195" thick at the permeter shoulder, and recessed inboards just like the TTS holders.

Best regards,

Randy

thank you for the quick reply, randy.

robert.

You're welcome, Robert. I used the Tormach conversion ring on my flycutter (photos in another thread) on which I had machined a square shoulder, and am really happy with the results.

Best regards,

Randy