588,375 active members*
8,488 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Quick Starter Relay Question for regular motor

Quick Starter Relay Question for regular motor

I have a geared motor that says it needs a starter relay and I have no idea what that is or if it's need please help.

The motor is here http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

It comes with a capacitor. I use regular relays in my building all the time but have no idea what a starter relay is. Here is a pic of the schematic on the motor. The motor is from surplus center so maybe that relay is just in the diagram from this motor being built for a specific application. Any help on how to wire this would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2476.jpg  

I think I figured it out. The relay is what I thought. It allows the energy from the capcitor to start the motor then switches off the capcitor so just the line voltage is going to the motor. I'm bypassing the cap and the relay. I just plug it in and spin the shaft and it starts to run. I hope this doesn't hurt anything. It seems as though it can run in either direction based on which way I spin the shaft. I hope THIS doesn't hurt anything. I will continue to spin it in the direction the cap makes it go.

Your deduction about the start switch is correct, this motor does not have an internal centrifugle switch, which normally eliminates the external one.
    A split phase motor can be started by spinning the shaft and it will run in either direction as now the start winding/cap combination is not being used to give it the direction desired.
    There is high current flowing in the run winding when first switched on, so it is important for the motor to get up to speed ASAP after turn on.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks a Bunch Al, so just to clarify as long as I spin the shaft immediately after turning on I will be fine, plus either direction won't hurt it? Sweet.

If you choose that method, it is a bit easier on the motor if you can give it a hard spin a split second before hitting the switch.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.