587,789 active members*
5,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

R2E3 batteries?

I'm having trouble getting the spindle to start and an error code that leads to a low or dead battery. I have looked intensively to find any type of battery in this system. What type of battery, and where is it located?
    "ain't much that can't be repaired, rebuilt or replaced..."

There are 2 batteries in a R2E3. Both are lithium and with a high degree of probability soldered to the boards. I say this because I have seen a few that actually had a battery holder, but those are rare. One battery is soldered onto the motherboard behind the front operator panel. The other is soldered onto the FMDC board, in the rear electrical cabinet hanging on the back side of the small white door on the bottom right.
    I suggest that you get any CMOS replacement battery (not the coin style) with wires or 2 AA lithium from Radio Shack and 2 AA batery holder and some wire. Cut the old battery out with diagonal cutters CAREFULLY, leaving as much as possible of the original lead sticking up out of the board. These are 7 layer boards so I do not want you trying to unsolder the battery and destroying the board. I do not want you to desturb the lead any more than is necessary. Now you can find a good position for each battery and holder and solder wires from the holder to those leads/pins you left sticking out of the boards. Using a temerature controlled low wattage soldering iron, you should be OK. DO NOT use a large soldering gun as they are not electrically isolated and may fry the board.
    Be very careful putting the front panel back on. In you catch the ribbon cable in the process and put a crease into it, you may make it useless.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I found an almost exact replacement at the local Radio Shal. It is the 3V lithium the same size as the old. They are a photo battery, without wires and the poles are opposite. I was able to solder light guage wire to each end and then solder those to the wires of the old batteries.

I found the batteries and checked them with a voltmeter, they are putting out 2.997 v. The error code that came up on the display was 0400. When translated from the hex code: Tool Table Check sum error. Action to be taken:A. operator/programmer repairable,or B. Maintainance/Field Rep. repairable. (1) May be caused by a dead battery on power up.
    If anybody could elaborate on this, it would be most helpful.
    "ain't much that can't be repaired, rebuilt or replaced..."

There is a key with LOAD, CLEAR< and EDIT. Use it to clear ALL. See if that removes your error.
    Secondly, just because the battery is good, does not mean that it is reaching what it needs on the board. I would follow a trace to see if it is reaching a component.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Are you checking the battery voltage while the machine is under power? Try powering it down, wait a half hour, then check the voltage. I recently had a problem with CR1 dropping out. After resetting the machine, I would see BAT on the display. This was with new batteries installed. The end cause was that the power supply to the EAF and FMDC board had failed. After replacing the power supply, I no longer have the BAT error.

Does anyone know the value of the pot for the feed override? The one in my machine (Series2 R2E3) was replaced before I got it and I don't have the range of control of the feed rate. It only works at 100% and will not operate unless I fittle woth it. Thanks in advance!
    Steve