587,462 active members*
3,075 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Ratchet or Ratchet-Friction stop micrometer

Ratchet or Ratchet-Friction stop micrometer

I posted this in the Instruments & measurement section, but no response, and I have to place this order today and have it overnighted in. Hoping for a little more exposure here.

What is the difference between the following stop types [on a micrometer]?

Ratchet stop
    Ratchet-Friction stop

I can't see how the ratchet stop can be made any different, than, well, a ratchet.

Thanks for any help.

Justin

Nevermind...on order. I guess I'll find out the difference tomorrow.

It sucks to mash a micrometer.

Starrett has a Ratchet version with litttle ball bearings spring loaded to give way at a programmed torque when the faces meet the metal being measured. They also have a friction shell version that has a continuous spring creating friction that breaks at the programed torque. You feel the clicks on a ratchet type and none on the friction type.

Statrrett says the friction only system is used in their most precise (50 mil resolution) stuff because it is 'more consistant' than the ratchet type.

The Ratchet- Friction stop is some kind of combination of the two not made by Starrett. I think this is a Mitutoyo product.

unless you are trying to hold .0001with more than one user of tool either mic will work.The advantage of a shop that has all ratched type is all user of that tool will get the same reading. where as a friction type is up to your own feel of size.