587,331 active members*
3,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Recommendation for stepper motor and driver

Recommendation for stepper motor and driver

I planned to design and build my own CNC milling from scratch. It will only be doing stuff on AL6061. I would want a travel of say X-300mm, Y-200mm and Z-150mm

Can anyone give a recommendation of which stepper motor and driver can do the job. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike, are you set on using stepper motors? Servos will be nicer, especially if you are going to work hard on building a nice, rigid, and accurate metal-cutting machine.

That said, a lot of the guys here swear by the Gecko systems, although I personally am using Flashcut because I like their software very much.

What will the mill look like? Traditional moving table, gantry?

Swede

Stepper Motor and Driver

A NEMA 34 640 in/oz Steppers and a Gecko 201 's / heat sink will easily convert a bench mill to CNC, so it will cover your application.

You just need to make sure the voltage stays below 80V @ 7 amps.

Thanks
    Aaron Moss

www.IndustrialHobbies.com

I think the man is seeking an advice and not a price, .

Thanks for the reply so far. Yes I am going to make my own CNC mill. Design will be base on some Mitutoyo Quick Vision system, with Y axis as table moving , X-Axis a bridge/Gantry across w Z-zxis mount on it.

I would like to start off w stepper setup cos it probably be less complicated and cheaper I am totally new to this CNC tho I had a passion for it. So keep yr suggestion coming and thanks in advance!

Cheers

Mike