587,419 active members*
3,023 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Renishaw Probe Calibration & Ring Gauges

Renishaw Probe Calibration & Ring Gauges

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble, but here it goes.

I know a number of us have the Renishaw probing on our machines. Part of the probe calibration includes probing a known bore size. Not trusting my inside bore measuring abilities, I bought a ring gauge to add to my tool set. The ring gauge gives me a super-accurate bore of known size so I can start with the best calibration possible on the probe. It's not for everybody and not everybody thinks it's necessary. If you're like me and want the extra precision, a ring gauge is the way to go.

From time to time, ring gauges show up on eBay. I just stumbled onto a number of them for decent prices. If you guys don't jump all over them, there are probably enough to go around. Which one you buy doesn't really matter as much as knowing that it's got the calibration diameter engraved onto it. Mine happen to be 5+ inches. They work great.

Here's the part that might get me in trouble (I don't know what the rules are for pimping a seller on eBay). I have no association with the seller...just passing on a good deal.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...fsoo%3D1&fgtp=
    Greg

Ebay's where I go tmine. it's a 1.25 ID. Woodworth. It has U.S.A.F engraved on it. Nice to have.

It looks like five of them went unsold. That must be good news: you've all got ring gauges and didn't need one.

For those who avoided the odd-sizes and missed out: big mistake. The actual size doesn't matter. Remember that you key in the size when you calibrate. It's only important to know the precise size. Both of mine are oddball dimensions but they were laser certified to 6 decimal places.

I'll bump this in the future when I find more.
    Greg