587,997 active members*
3,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Repair or not?

I have a LB-25 #9336 (bought at auction) that is not working and I need a production lathe. I 've been looking at selling this for spare parts but now I'm looking a production lathe work. My question is: should I invest good money to get this machine running or should I look a another machine...any thoughts?

Mate yer askin' a question with little, te even less information, and no pic.

If the bloody chip converor don' work i'd say fix it.

If the boards are scotch staped to front of the crt, or if the way covers are off and ye' rolled the bastard around the shop using the ballscrews, or if the enclosure 'as been used for recycling, or if the turret is mysteriously mated to the chuck, n the tailstock is rammed up it's ars holdin' it there then ye got problems friend.

All for not...my partner just sold it for parts. I'm now looking for a another CNC lathe...

Too bad. LB-25's were great machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas Basher View Post
    Mate yer askin' a question with little, te even less information, and no pic.

If the bloody chip converor don' work i'd say fix it.

If the boards are scotch staped to front of the crt, or if the way covers are off and ye' rolled the bastard around the shop using the ballscrews, or if the enclosure 'as been used for recycling, or if the turret is mysteriously mated to the chuck, n the tailstock is rammed up it's ars holdin' it there then ye got problems friend.

Now that's funny. lmao:cheers:

two LB-25's

We have two LB-25's that worked great at a local shop however once we moved them to our shop we have struggled to get them running. They were powered up using 480 at the other shop and when we wired them for 240 we have had nothing but trouble...suspect there is more to it then just moving the bus bars on the transformer. Looks like we now have two blown SDU's.

Let me know if you ever want a LB-25 back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishus View Post
    We have two LB-25's that worked great at a local shop however once we moved them to our shop we have struggled to get them running. They were powered up using 480 at the other shop and when we wired them for 240 we have had nothing but trouble...suspect there is more to it then just moving the bus bars on the transformer. Looks like we now have two blown SDU's.

Let me know if you ever want a LB-25 back!!!
    Installed plenty of LB-25's. Nothing more than moving buss bars. What errors are you getting? Voltage Flutter alarms?

LB-25 help?

I did not mean to hi-jack this thread but since it appears to be dead anyway I assume it is okay.

As previously mentioned, both lathes were working fine for over 8 years at another local shop. One was moved to our location A and one to our location B (our two sister shops). First thing we did was to change the bus bars on both lathes from 480V to 220V.
    We powered the lathe at location A (actual incoming is 218V) and after about 30-60 minutes it shut down. We opened the back panel and smelled 'burning' only to discover the top board on the SDU (VAC) had some fried components. Error code, ALARM 110A SBU1.

Thinking it was an isolated incident, we keep our heads strategically lodged in our asses, and opted to power up the second lathe at location B....yep...same exact problem and error code. ALARM 110A SBU 1. (BTW both lathes are now at location B)

Just for the record, prior in the year we successfully powered up several MC-4VA mills at both locations following the same process of simply moving the bus bars. They have been running fine, under heavy load, without a single problem.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

By the way, before someone offers the input, 'contact your local Okuma distributor', please don't bother....useless.

1. The voltage between two electrical phases is ~380; the same voltage between each phase and ground (earth) is ~230
    2. could be input - output terminals of transformer swapped. In case when input ~220 ant output ~200 it doesn't harm much