587,996 active members*
4,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Replacing the leadscrew nuts on a Lagun Mill

Replacing the leadscrew nuts on a Lagun Mill

We have a Lagun Vertical Knee Mill with a SWI Trak 2 CNC control on it. We are replacing the nuts on the X and Y axis due to backlash. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the table without damaging the glass scale and reading head? I was just going to remove the end-piece on the scale cover and let the head just slide out.

Also, the X-axis seems easy to replace the nut but the Y seems a little more involved, any ideas?

Finally, any suggestions as to how to recondition the ways on a budget? They show some galling.

Thanks,
    Wanders

I actually just put in ball screws in my Enco....I don't have the glass scales, but can you just remove them from the machine? If so I would really suggest that. I didn't take off my home or limit switches when I removed my table, and I ended up trashing one of them. On the Y, when you get the table off, you can remove the Y screw completley from the machine, then the yoke will be able to come out of the top.

wanders
    Dont take the reader head out of the scale body, take the whole scale with reader head together off the machine, otherwise you run the risk of ruining the scale.
    Davo

Quote Originally Posted by wganders View Post
    We have a Lagun Vertical Knee Mill with a SWI Trak 2 CNC control on it. We are replacing the nuts on the X and Y axis due to backlash. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the table without damaging the glass scale and reading head? I was just going to remove the end-piece on the scale cover and let the head just slide out.

Also, the X-axis seems easy to replace the nut but the Y seems a little more involved, any ideas?

Finally, any suggestions as to how to recondition the ways on a budget? They show some galling.

Thanks,
    Wanders
    Did you get the lead screw nuts replaced? I have a set to do on my Lagun as well. You remove the four bolts from the bearing mount casting and unscrew the assembly from the nut. There is a manual offered from Lagun for $75, and you can occasionally find them on ebay for $50 or less.

Jim

Is there a way to tighten up the backlash on the Laguns? I have a manual FTV-1 and so far it is proving to be smarter than me. There's two screws on the y-axis nut- a S.H.C.S. and a flat head. Neither one does anything...

Quote Originally Posted by hansw3 View Post
    Is there a way to tighten up the backlash on the Laguns? I have a manual FTV-1 and so far it is proving to be smarter than me. There's two screws on the y-axis nut- a S.H.C.S. and a flat head. Neither one does anything...
    Welll I tore into it and pulled the front bearing off and then unscrewed the leadscrew to get a better look. The brass busing half nut is shot. I need to get a new one.

Anyone know part number for it? The machine serial # is 18005 if that helps.

Here is a picture of the half nut:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/hansw3/L...17246975546242