587,558 active members*
3,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Retrieving Stepper Motors

With all these stepper motors up for sale, clearly others buy them them apart from hobbyists?

I'm checking out photocopier repairers at present and have found a supply of dead photocopiers to raid but I suspect the motors will not be big enough (I need => 400oz/in motors). I'm getting them for nothing so only my time will be wasted.

If I find that I have to look elsewhere for wrecked machinery .... what machinery do I look for?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andy_ck87028
    If I find that I have to look elsewhere for wrecked machinery .... what machinery do I look for?
    Andy
    CNC machinery

Printers and copiers more than likely won't have more than 150 oz steppers in them. They only have to move paper. I really don't know where you can find larger ones, other than possibly machinery.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I've got a nema34 size 500 oz stepper from a A0 size plotter. I believe it was a hp.
    There are also big steppers used in airplanes like the boeing 747 (fly by wire).
    Generaly steppers are used in equipment with precise movement.

Big steppers and big servo motors can be found in commercial sized copy machines like the Xerox 9900. Big machine, lots of parts, servo's, steppers, ballscrews......
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

With Australia being near the end of the global supply chain, (NZ is further down the chain), a re-use mentality makes commercial sense..

I might check out photocopier/plotter repairers here and in NZ a bit more thoroughly and target those who repair the big machines.

Thanks for the thoughts

Andy

2muchstuff,

Thanks for the tip on the big xerox machines. The largest stepper I found so far was a 200 oz/inch unipolar stepper in a canon copier along with some 5 phase vexta steppers of unlisted torque.

Jason

jason marsha,

Glad to be of some help in your quest for steppers. Sometimes you can cross the part numbers to find out the specs but most times the motors are of a priority type, specifically made for the piece of equipment. Most OEM's of the part won't give you any info on it. Sometimes you can get lucky by contacting the manufacture of the piece of equipment. Good luck.

Jerber

Do you know of any 747s being trashed?

Andy

Yes the photocopier Steppers will work, but expect very slow movements & lack of power. This is OK if you are contemplating a small precision machine and time is not an issue. I've finally got my CNC machine up and running a few nights ago, this machine uses steppers from commercial photocopiers and I'm already loosing steps as low as 400Hz operating frequency on an old 386 Laptop.

Imagineering,
    Could you list the name and specs of the stepper motor losing steps.

Jason

what voltage are you running your steppers at?
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha
    Imagineering,
    Could you list the name and specs of the stepper motor losing steps.
    Jason
    I dont have Torque/Power figures for these steppers but this is what I'm using;

X-Axis;
    Sanyo Denki, 4.2 Volt, 1.5 Amp (8 Ohm 20 Watt Resistor)

Y-Axis;
    Minebea, 5.7 Volt, 1.14 Amp (9 Ohm 20 Watt Resistor)

Z-Axis;
    Shinano Kenshi, 8.5 Volt, 0.96 Amp (8 Ohm 20 Watt Resistor)

I'm using a 16 Volt 5 Amp Linear PSU with the resistor values as above.
    The Computer is an old Toshiba 386 Laptop which TurboCNC describes as;
    Timer Latency; 11.51 Microseconds
    Max is; 431.00
    Min is; 11.00
    10% Jitter is; 10363.0 Hz

It may very well be a Computer hardware problem, so I've created a thread in the TurboCNC Forum querying the suitability of various Computers I have.

Imagineering,
    My steppers are 3.6 volts and I am running them with 24 volts, that's 6.67 times the rated voltage. I have a chopper drive which eases me with having resistors, but all steppers are run at several times their rated voltage its just the current that needs to be kept at or below the rated value.
    There is a free program called steprescalc to help you calculate resistor values, I cannot remember the website.

Jason

andy_ck87028,

Too bad you don't live here on the other side of the pond in the states. There is an aircraft junk yard in the southwest united states, I think it is in New Mexico. They have acres and acres of scrapped planes for the parts pick'n.

2muchstuff

For you and only you, I'll cut a deal. You can have the plane providing you can get me the stepper :banana:

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by jerber
    I've got a nema34 size 500 oz stepper from a A0 size plotter. I believe it was a hp.
    There are also big steppers used in airplanes like the boeing 747 (fly by wire).
    Generaly steppers are used in equipment with precise movement.
    I guess thats why the 747 is so big so it can haul the computer's around for the fly by wire system. Computer's available in 1970 were pretty big.

Pictures of SOME of the items recovered from raiding copiers. Missing at this point (will post pics at some point )would be the electrical harness(lots of wire for steppers), heatsinks from the circuitboards, gears, DC motors with encoders, relays, LOTS of 24V fans (each copier carried 2 fans), stainless steel slides, belts pulleys and small actuators. The copiers were Toshiba and Canon , I was not able to find any Xerox 9000 series copiers.

The two motors in the close-up have a torque rating of about 180 - 200 oz/inch. I used the rating as close as possible on the respective website.

The smaller motors rate anywhere from 30 oz/inch to 80oz/inch.
    Two more 80 oz/inch motors are missing from the picture.

Copiers seem to use the 608 series (skate) bearings in abundance along with lots of bronze bushings. Low cost copiers however use lots of bushings and few bearings.
    The five Phase motors will be paper weights until I find or build a hobby controller for them. LOL. Their strength is a mystery as I cannot find a matching series to compare them to and their serial numbers are not listed as they were specially built for canon.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overall.JPG   motors1.JPG   FivePhase.JPG