588,548 active members*
5,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RF45 Oil Capacity

Anybody know what the oil capacity of a RF45 Mill? Tried doing a search, but all I got was 20 pages of posts not related.

Question

What happened to the sight glass?
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Nothing happened to the sight glass. I see oil in the glass, but since there is no upper and lower level marks I wanted to see if anyone new what the recommended level was.

right in the middle of the glass

Thanks Runner, looks like a little more than 2 quarts will do it. I tried Lucas Gear oil, it's a synthetic, I was hoping I would get rid of the gear whine. It seemed to quiet the whine a bit, but it's still noisey. Maybe next time I'll try Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    Thanks Runner, looks like a little more than 2 quarts will do it. I tried Lucas Gear oil, it's a synthetic, I was hoping I would get rid of the gear whine. It seemed to quiet the whine a bit, but it's still noisey. Maybe next time I'll try Mobil 1.

Have you noticed any foaming in the oil running @ 1500 + rpm say for an hour. I have wanted to use a red line product but chickened out and bought Mobil Velocite Oil #10

Evan

i use 75w-90 gear oil in my head and i used the mobil one synthetic to try and quiet the gears down. ultimately i found that i get some foaming but not so much that it bubbles out any more. on the breather i drilled and tapped its for a much large opening and connected a clear rubber hose. i get no oil escaping the head any longer.

Rong-Fu suggests filling until the sight glass is 3/4 full with 75-90 Mobil 1
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I found changing the oil helped mine, but I also found one of the upper bearings had some roughness to it where it set without being run. The upper bearings are not under the oil level so they drawed a bit of moisture and rusted. I replaced them and all was well.

My mill was one that set at a store for a long time before being sold so that hurt it I guess. But it might not take very long for this to happen either with them coming over on a boat. A friend of mine had the same problem and we bought our mills at different places so I wandered about that. When we got them apart it was plan to see how the bearing had rusted to cause the problem. Both of our mills where Enco mill though.

Jess

I'm finishing up a job at the moment, otherwise I would check the bearings. I have a whine that is driving me crazy, although the synthetic has reduced the whine. Tomorrow I will be doing alot of cutting and I will see how hot the gearbox gets. Before with standard gear oil I could place my hand on the gearbox and feel the heat. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

I ran the mill hard today, very little foaming. The oil level is just below midpoint in the sight glass. I did notice that there still is heat build up in the head. Nothing excessive, but I can still feel the heat on the housing and occasionally I can smell that distinctive gear oil scent. I don't know if there was more oil in the head if this problem would go away. Also I may have a bad bearing as others have said they had a bad upper bearing, this may be where some of the noise is coming from. I will look at the upper bearing once I finish the job that I am on. I can't stand listening to the "whine", so I'm going to look at everything real well.