588,189 active members*
4,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Right angle heads

Does anyone have any experience using right angle heads. Also how did it work in the ATC? I am looking at purchasing one but would like some more insight before making the move. Another question is can you rigid tap in the G18/19 plane? If so what cycle do you use?

Thanks

That depends on what Mori mill you have. Also what control. I would not put a right angle head in a sv50/500/503, since you can not slow down the swing arm. The NV series, you can specify large tool, so it slows down. There is also a weight limit for the ATC on all the Mori's. Most 40 taper machines were like 18 lbs max. all machines you would need to specify large tool in set up to leave pots on either side open. Don't know how big of head your looking at, how heavy, how long it is. So no way to tell you yes or no.

Wry Tangle Dead

Hi,

http://www.bigkaiser.com/frm.htm?news/prangleheads.htm

This is the model we have just acquired. It has been a pain to get it working in conjunction with ATC and we haven't had chance yet to see what kind of cuts it can take or whether we have full functionality in any other working spindle axis. Its pretty lightweight though - we can run it through the tool changer at the normal speed (which ain't particularly quick to be honest).

DP

We do have the 50 and 503. The head I was looking at will be under the max tool weight but just barely. The 50 has a MSC-518 controller. I had thought about tool change speed. It seems really fast for that large of a tool. Your saying that there is no way to slow the tool change speed down in this machine?

I was looking at getting one of these heads
    http://www.lyndex.com/prod_custom_ca...D0025&status=1

Also I've got to figure out if I can us ridged taping cycles in G 18/19 with this machine?

The SV50 ATC is cam/AC motor drivin, and I personally think too fast for that head to change safely. You would need to specify large tool in tool reg. I don't think the SV's have any slow down ability..IF you decide to try it, better make SURE the claws are in good shape, the plunger lock is good, and the arm alignment is good.

The newer NV is a VFD drive and will slow down for lage/heavy tools.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperjm View Post

Also I've got to figure out if I can us ridged taping cycles in G 18/19 with this machine?
    You can try that before you get the head. Just try the normal rigid tapping cycle while in G18/19 and see what happens. Just remember to define X or Y instead of Z for your depth.

DP