587,303 active members*
3,313 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Roughing tool path questions

Hi, I've got solidcam 08, and I'm having a hard time trying to changing my tool paths to how I'd like them.

My problem is when I use the HSM contour roughing operations I cannot seem to eliminate all the full WOC paths (slots) Id like to be able to run the operation without taking any passes that use the entire width of the cutter. Is there a way to achieve this?

Hi there,

In the Passes area of a Contour Roughing Toolpath the "Min. Offset" & "Max. Offset" control your step over (clicking on the input boxes will show you a small diagram of what you are controlling).

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dengo View Post
    Hi there,

In the Passes area of a Contour Roughing Toolpath the "Min. Offset" & "Max. Offset" control your step over (clicking on the input boxes will show you a small diagram of what you are controlling).

Hope that helps.
    the step over is no problem I got those inputs fine, however it will make full slots along the X then step down in the Y according to the inputed in the offsets, settings... if that make sense?

Hi,
    Sorry no, I don't quite get where you are coming from.

If you are working out from the centre of a piece of solid stock and just plunging in Z then I guess that at least your first move in X or Y will be a full width cut.
    Maybe try using a helical entry to start the passes.
    If you have your step overs set correctly (for example a 10mm tool may have a Min.Offset of 3mm and a Max.Offset of 8mm) and you are still getting full width slots then it could be the way your post is set up.

Quote Originally Posted by dengo View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry no, I don't quite get where you are coming from.

If you are working out from the centre of a piece of solid stock and just plunging in Z then I guess that at least your first move in X or Y will be a full width cut.
    Maybe try using a helical entry to start the passes.
    If you have your step overs set correctly (for example a 10mm tool may have a Min.Offset of 3mm and a Max.Offset of 8mm) and you are still getting full width slots then it could be the way your post is set up.
    I just just threw together a fast tool path to recreate the problem, dont put too much thought into the depths and cuts, i just used that for visual purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Want a free trial of WorkNC ? that will solve your machining problems

Hi,

At first glance it looks like you are engaging the tool somewhere in the middle of the stock. In that case no matter what step over you have you are going to get a full width cut.
    If you use the "Detect Core Areas" option this will force the toolpath to work from outside to inside. Make sure that you have a Boundary that will allow you to reach the outside of your part and that the "Tool on Working Area" also reflects this.
    As for the pocket area of your model, again, I would be using a Helical Ramping approach to get into your stock with an angle of 2* of 3* to minimise the tool loads and then set the Min/Max.Offsets to reflect the cutter you are using. Again as an example if I were using a 10mm cutter I would set a Min.Offset of 3mm and a Max.Offset of 7mm. This should now ensure that after the tool has entered the stock your step over should never be more than 7mm for this 10mm tool.

Hope that helps